It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to remove fields from UI for a type of work item?

Charley Rich (3622) | asked May 07 '08, 3:49 p.m.
I am a new Jazz user, so please forgive me if I get the terminology wrong.

I have a type of work item called enhancement. I would like to remove some of the fields from the edit/modify/create UI for enhancement without impacting "work item".

How do I do this?

Thank you,

Charley

8 answers

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 08 '08, 6:07 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If I understand you correctly, you want to remove for example the 'Found in' field from enhancements, but it should be still available for defect and task?

Steps (assuming you use UI editors , this gives a page 'Process Configuration' in the Project Area editor):
- create a new editor presentation (preferably by duplicating the existing one for defect/enhancement, which is com.ibm.team.workitem.editor.default). Then duplicate the overview tab and the details section to get elements that are not shared by the default editor. In the duplicated details section you can now remove the Found In field.
- bind the enhancement type to the new editor

Be aware that if you have configured the 'Found In' property to be a required property for enhancement, you will not be able to save enhancements any more

permanent link
Elisabeth Carbone (616108) | answered May 08 '08, 10:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Marcel,
I just tried your solution. Is it correct that the shared Overview tab and detail section after been copied have to be removed in the new editor presentation? I did it not first but then the field had not gone.

A follow up question: When I select the Enhancement Type at submit time the field has gone. When I select a Defect at submit time and then change my mind and select Enhancement in the WorkItem type field the editor does not change. Could I make this work somehow?

/Elisabeth

permanent link
Charley Rich (3622) | answered May 08 '08, 6:03 p.m.
Thanks! This worked perfectly.

--Charley

If I understand you correctly, you want to remove for example the 'Found in' field from enhancements, but it should be still available for defect and task?

Steps (assuming you use UI editors , this gives a page 'Process Configuration' in the Project Area editor):
- create a new editor presentation (preferably by duplicating the existing one for defect/enhancement, which is com.ibm.team.workitem.editor.default). Then duplicate the overview tab and the details section to get elements that are not shared by the default editor. In the duplicated details section you can now remove the Found In field.
- bind the enhancement type to the new editor

Be aware that if you have configured the 'Found In' property to be a required property for enhancement, you will not be able to save enhancements any more

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 13 '08, 2:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Elisabeth,
Yes, duplicating creates a copy and you have to remove the orginials. This is not very elegant, but time did not permit to implement richer actions like 'create unshared deep copy of this element' or similar.

We do not update the work item editor on type change in the eclipse UI. The web UI changes its layout immediately IIRC.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Charley Rich (3622) | answered May 13 '08, 10:24 a.m.
I would like to take this further and consolidate some of the fields that are on multiple tabs into one. Now that I have removed fields, I have the room to do this.

However, when I tried this in the editor, I was unable to cut and paste from one section to another. Can I move fields from one tab to another? If so, how?

Thanks,

Charley

Elisabeth,
Yes, duplicating creates a copy and you have to remove the orginials. This is not very elegant, but time did not permit to implement richer actions like 'create unshared deep copy of this element' or similar.

We do not update the work item editor on type change in the eclipse UI. The web UI changes its layout immediately IIRC.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 14 '08, 2:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Charley,
Copy&Paste or Drag&Drop is not supported. You can however reuse tabs and (in your case) sections. Assuming you want to move the subscribers section to the overview tab, you could just select the overview tab, click on 'Add Section...' and select the Subscribers section in the 'Reuse existing section' combo. You have to know the id of the section, but you can enable to display these with the 'Show Ids' checkbox.
Such reused sections have shared content, but you can duplicate them to get a private copy if you need.

HTH

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Charley Rich (3622) | answered May 14 '08, 6:41 p.m.
Thanks for your reply.

I tried this and was unsuccessful. I am trying to move (copy) the contents of the custom tab to the overview tab. When I follow your instructions, this choice does not show up in the "reuse existing section" combo box.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Charley

Charley,
Copy&Paste or Drag&Drop is not supported. You can however reuse tabs and (in your case) sections. Assuming you want to move the subscribers section to the overview tab, you could just select the overview tab, click on 'Add Section...' and select the Subscribers section in the 'Reuse existing section' combo. You have to know the id of the section, but you can enable to display these with the 'Show Ids' checkbox.
Such reused sections have shared content, but you can duplicate them to get a private copy if you need.

HTH

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 19 '08, 3:07 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Charley
The sections on the custom tab are a bit special as they show all attributes that are not configured to show up elsewhere (autocollect property). These sections can not be reused, but have to be created explicitly. The autocollect feature is however not available on the Web UI, I thus recommend to not use it, but instead declare your section content explicitly.

Furthermore it is not possible to have more than one section in a slot when using the builtInOverviewLayout. The builtInCustomAttributesLayout can have multiple sections in each slot.

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.