It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Workspace vs. Stream Flow Targets

Andrew Trobec (49713144139) | asked Feb 20 '12, 9:37 a.m.
Hello,

I would like to know what the idea behind stream flow targets is. I understand that I can create a sort of stream hierarchy, but I am not sure what the benefits are.

For example, I can have two streams: streamA and streamB, each with a component: componentA and componentB. If I then create a third stream, Integration and set the flow targets for streamA and streamB to it, what does this enable me to do?

I thought that maybe it would automatically add a second flow target to the Integration stream to my workspaces for streamA and streamB, but this is not the case. I thought that it would automatically add the components loaded in streamA and streamB into the Integration stream, but this is not the case either. If I manually add componentA and componentB as components to the Integration stream, any changes made within streamA and streamB are not propagated to the Integration stream. If I create new stream baselines, they are not automatically passed to the Integration stream either.

What am I not understanding?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

7 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Feb 20 '12, 10:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

I would like to know what the idea behind stream flow targets is. I understand that I can create a sort of stream hierarchy, but I am not sure what the benefits are.

For example, I can have two streams: streamA and streamB, each with a component: componentA and componentB. If I then create a third stream, Integration and set the flow targets for streamA and streamB to it, what does this enable me to do?

I thought that maybe it would automatically add a second flow target to the Integration stream to my workspaces for streamA and streamB, but this is not the case. I thought that it would automatically add the components loaded in streamA and streamB into the Integration stream, but this is not the case either. If I manually add componentA and componentB as components to the Integration stream, any changes made within streamA and streamB are not propagated to the Integration stream. If I create new stream baselines, they are not automatically passed to the Integration stream either.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Flow targets are really just a way of ensuring where your repository workspace changes get delivered (ie the work you check in gets sent to the stream that is the flow target).

There is no automatic hierarchy of streams - all streams are equal.

Flowing between streams is generally done via a repository workspace - so I would ignore the option to flow between streams for the moment.

anthony

permanent link
Andrew Trobec (49713144139) | answered Feb 20 '12, 1:41 p.m.
Hello Antony,

Thanks for the advice.

I have already experimented with flow targets within repository workspaces and I find them to be very dynamic and useful. The only thing I was unsure about was the flow targets for streams. They seem quite useless unless there is a specific way of managing them that I haven't found yet!

Regards,

Andrew

Hello,

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Flow targets are really just a way of ensuring where your repository workspace changes get delivered (ie the work you check in gets sent to the stream that is the flow target).

Flowing between streams is generally done via a repository workspace - so I would ignore the option to flow between streams for the moment.

anthony

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 20 '12, 3:08 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As of 3.0, flow targets between streams are useful, because you can load
that stream into the Pending Changes view, and directly deliver changes
between streams (as long as there are no conflicts), without requiring
the use of a workspace. A conflict can only be resolved in a workspace,
so if you encounter a conflict when trying to deliver between two
streams, you will have to create a workspace, accept the changes from
both streams, resolve the conflicts, and then deliver back to the
appropriate stream.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 2/20/2012 1:53 PM, spriteburn wrote:
Hello Antony,

Thanks for the advice.

I have already experimented with flow targets within repository
workspaces and I find them to be very dynamic and useful. The only
thing I was unsure about was the flow targets for streams. They seem
quite useless unless there is a specific way of managing them that I
haven't found yet!

Regards,

Andrew

kestertowrote:
Hello,

I would like to know what the idea behind stream flow targets is. I
understand that I can create a sort of stream hierarchy, but I am not
sure what the benefits are.

For example, I can have two streams: streamA and streamB, each with
a component: componentA and componentB. If I then create a third
stream, Integration and set the flow targets for streamA and streamB
to it, what does this enable me to do?

I thought that maybe it would automatically add a second flow target
to the Integration stream to my workspaces for streamA and streamB,
but this is not the case. I thought that it would automatically add
the components loaded in streamA and streamB into the Integration
stream, but this is not the case either. If I manually add
componentA and componentB as components to the Integration stream,
any changes made within streamA and streamB are not propagated to the
Integration stream. If I create new stream baselines, they are not
automatically passed to the Integration stream either.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Flow targets are really just a way of ensuring where your repository
workspace changes get delivered (ie the work you check in gets sent
to the stream that is the flow target).

Flowing between streams is generally done via a repository workspace -
so I would ignore the option to flow between streams for the moment.

anthony

permanent link
Andrew Trobec (49713144139) | answered Feb 21 '12, 2:45 a.m.
Thanks Geoff!

I will carry out some tests with this in mind!

Best regards,

Andrew

EDIT: I have been playing around in RTC 3.0 and am unable to find any way of doing what you described. I can replace the component of a stream with another component (assuming they are different environments containing the same component), but that has nothing to do with stream flow targets. Are there any articles that you know of that can help me out?

appropriate stream.

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
Gabriel Ben-harosh Hasson (656) | answered Feb 21 '12, 5:57 a.m.
Hi Andrew,

To be able to deliver between Streams, you need to define the flow between them, once you've done that, right-click on the Stream you want to deliver from and select Show-->Pending Changes.

Now in the "Pending Changes" view you will have the ability to deliver between the streams without a workspace.

Cheers,
Gabriel.

Thanks Geoff!

I will carry out some tests with this in mind!

Best regards,

Andrew

EDIT: I have been playing around in RTC 3.0 and am unable to find any way of doing what you described. I can replace the component of a stream with another component (assuming they are different environments containing the same component), but that has nothing to do with stream flow targets. Are there any articles that you know of that can help me out?

appropriate stream.

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
Andrew Trobec (49713144139) | answered Feb 23 '12, 4:55 a.m.
Hello Gabriel,

Thank you for the reply!

I have tried to follow these instructions, but I do not have the "Pending Changes" option when right-clicking on the stream.

I have two streams: StreamA and StreamB, both with the same component. StreamB has StreamA set as its Flow Target. There are changes that were made to the component in StreamB that need to be transferred to StreamA. When I right click StreamB under the Source Control section, I don't see "Pending Changes" under the "Show" menu.

Have I misunderstood something?

Best regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

To be able to deliver between Streams, you need to define the flow between them, once you've done that, right-click on the Stream you want to deliver from and select Show-->Pending Changes.

Now in the "Pending Changes" view you will have the ability to deliver between the streams without a workspace.

Cheers,
Gabriel.

permanent link
Vincent TREBUCHON (36176) | answered Feb 23 '12, 10:36 a.m.
Be sure to use 3.0.1+, since the 'Pending Changes' menu for the streams has been released at that time (even if the 'flow target' definition between streams was available before)

HTH
Vincent

Hello Gabriel,

Thank you for the reply!

I have tried to follow these instructions, but I do not have the "Pending Changes" option when right-clicking on the stream.

I have two streams: StreamA and StreamB, both with the same component. StreamB has StreamA set as its Flow Target. There are changes that were made to the component in StreamB that need to be transferred to StreamA. When I right click StreamB under the Source Control section, I don't see "Pending Changes" under the "Show" menu.

Have I misunderstood something?

Best regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Cheers,
Gabriel.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.