It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Deploying Rational CE/CLM on Amazon Web Services with their Relational Database Service

Bob 3 (1481564) | asked Sep 21 '18, 4:25 p.m.

I am deploying the Rational CE solution on Amazon Web Services. They have a service called RDS, Relational Database Service. The official word from IBM support is that they don't support RDS. Does anyone have any experience using it successfully with Rational CE/CLM?

"RDS automates administration tasks such as hardware provisioning, database setup, patching and backups. Amazon RDS is available on several database instance types - optimized for memory, performance or I/O - and provides six familiar database engines to choose from, including Amazon Aurora, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle, and Microsoft SQL Server."

Accepted answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Sep 21 '18, 8:49 p.m.
I have no idea why IBM would say it's not supported, as it's just a hosted instance of MS SQL Server. I've done it with several clients and it works perfectly. The only thing I needed to do was make it single instance and not clustered.

Bob 3 selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Bob 3 commented Oct 23 '18, 5:35 p.m. | edited Oct 23 '18, 5:46 p.m.

Davyd, as I go to actually create the databases in Amazon RDS, I have come upon a road block. The next step in my workflow is to establish a folder on the DB server for the data warehouse. How is this possible with Amazon RDS? I'm not aware of a way to gain access to the file system. 

Quote from the IBM interactive installation guide: 
  • "Create an empty directory on your database server to be used as the data warehouse base folder. During the setup wizard, you will be asked to enter this directory."

Davyd Norris commented Oct 23 '18, 5:48 p.m.
Hi Bob,

If you look at the settings in the RDS you can see where the database has been deployed and can use a folder in that location.

I ended up using D:\RDSDBDATA\BACKUP, which was one of the folders available to end users that did not get automatically deleted.

Bob 3 commented Oct 25 '18, 6:49 p.m.

I see that same path in my RDS database configuration, as well. How did you reference the path D:\RDSDBDATA\BACKUP from the JTS data warehouse setup?

Davyd Norris commented Oct 25 '18, 7:04 p.m.

You literally put it in like that - it needs to be a DB server local reference that is passed direct to the DB when it first creates the warehouse tablespaces

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.