It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prevent RPE adding extra new line in Word document when using Bullets in DOORS NG Artifact

Richard Hall (107211) | asked Jun 18 '18, 12:38 p.m.

I am using RPE to generate Word Documents from a DOORS NG project.

I am finding that whenever I use a 'bullet' (from the DOORS NG formatting options) in an artifact, an extra new line is added in the Word Document prior to the first bulletted line (if in the bullets are within an artifact this gives two new lines, if the bullet is at the start of an artifact this gives a new line prior to the bulletted text)

I also notice extra space is shown prior to the line containing the bullet in DOORS NG.  I do not know whether this is relevant to the problem or not.

I think that it is DOORS NG that is adding the extra new line because if I copy the text from DOORS NG within the artifact and paste into Notepad++, I see that there are two line feeds in the output.

Unfortunately I cannot upload images to show this because I do not have enough 'points' to be allowed to do so.

Does anyone know how to prevent this?

I have considered removing the extra new line in the Word document but it is not easy because sometimes the new line is at the start of a cell in Word Table and I do not know how to globally remove a new line immediately following the start of a cell in a Word Table.

I am using DOORS NG 6.0.4 and RPE 6.0.5

3 answers

permanent link
Bartosz Chrabski (3.4k12749) | answered May 03 '20, 1:41 p.m.

Hi Richard,

It seems that this blank line is created automatically when you add bullets in DNG. I had exactly the same problem when I was creating RPE report. I strongly suggest printing to Word a raw HTML and check what html tag is generating this blank line.

After you will diagnose the cause of the new line, you can remove it using regexp.

permanent link
Michael Laurendi (1051144) | answered Jun 18 '18, 1:51 p.m.

Hi Richard,

I am glad you posted this question. I have had the same issue and was wondering the same. I hope you get an answer that resolves it.

Good luck!

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered May 04 '20, 4:45 a.m.
I am using latest version of DNG and RPE and RPE's output is similar to how it is shown in DNG.

However, the XML data returned by DOORS Next's reportable API will be slightly  different at times. In such case, you can use Script Expression with replace function for regexp. You can also consider using Container instead of Paragraph element  for avoiding extra line before or after the artifact.

Comments
Bartosz Chrabski commented May 04 '20, 4:59 a.m.

Subramanya, that is exactly what I what thinking about.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.