It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz Build Engine fails to connect to RTC after upgrade to 6.0.5

Alexandru Asofroniei (112) | asked Apr 16 '18, 9:05 a.m.
edited Apr 17 '18, 5:28 a.m.

We recently upgraded an RTC 4 instance to 5, and afterwards to 6.
When testing the Jazz Build Engine, by starting it with the same arguments used in version 4, we get the following error:

An error response was received from the Jazz Team Server. Status=400.  Message: CRJAZ1848E To perform the "Control The Build Lifecycle" operation, the user (userid="ADMIN") must have one of the following licenses that are installed on the server: Rational Team Concert.Developer-Floating, Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management.Practitioner. The server administrator can assign licenses.. The error description is: An error response was received from the Jazz Team Server. Status=400.  Message: CRJAZ1848E To perform the "Control The Build Lifecycle" operation, the user (userid="ADMIN") must have one of the following licenses that are installed on the server: Rational Team Concert.Developer-Floating, Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management.Practitioner. The server administrator can assign licenses.

The problem is the build engine is not started with the ADMIN user id specified in the error. We start it a user created specifically for builds, with the following license assigned: Rational Team Concert - Build System

The command line used to start the jbe is:
./jbe -repository https://rtc-hostname:9443/ccm -userId Builduser -passwordFile /path/to/passwdfile -engineId Build_4

JBE version is 6.0.5, JTS and CCM is 6.0.5 as well.
All servers involved are running on RHEL 7.4

Any ideas on what the problem would be?

2 answers

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Apr 16 '18, 2:27 p.m.

I would suggest that the licenses for the actual user are verified as assigned.  Lack of license has been reported this way for a while..

Comments
Alexandru Asofroniei commented Apr 17 '18, 2:40 a.m.

I did verify that, I even went as far as removing the license and adding it again.

BTW, the user has only one license assigned, namely: Rational Team Concert - Build System

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 17 '18, 4:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is something very wrong and confusing. Since you don't provide any thing in form of how you start the JBE there is no way we can tell.

The user ADMIN is fishy
The message complains you talk to the Jazz Team Server
The build user only needs the build license you mention  BUT that license must be available.

As long as you are not willing to provide more, I must assume there is something wrong with the call you make.

I would suggest to talk to support. They don't publish your data. Otherwise obfuscate the sensible data and share your call and other data such as OS and JBE version.

Comments
Alexandru Asofroniei commented Apr 17 '18, 5:27 a.m.

The command line used to start the jbe is:
./jbe -repository https://rtc-hostname:9443/ccm -userId Builduser -passwordFile /path/to/passwdfile -engineId Build_4

JBE version is 6.0.5, JTS and CCM is 6.0.5 as well.

All servers involved are running on RHEL 7.4

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 17 '18, 5:44 a.m.

What Java Version is used. Do you provide any VM in the JBE.ini? E.g. see https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/the-day-the-jbe-stood-still/

I have no clue how that should generate your outcome. Try to simplify and use:

./jbe -repository https://clm.example.com:9443/ccm/ -userId build -pass build -engineId Build_4

replace the user and password with yours.

Alexandru Asofroniei commented Apr 17 '18, 6:23 a.m. | edited Apr 17 '18, 7:09 a.m.

I made progress by assigning a Rational Team Concert - Build System license to the ADMIN user, as it is a member of this project area even though the user is not in the user directory. I think this might be a miss-configuration from the old version. This project area is very old.

After adding the license for the ADMIN user, JBE is picking up builds. But I'm still confused on why it would use the ADMIN user at all when I specify the userID as Builduser.

I think I'm going to try and remove the ADMIN user from the Project Area. This is the test system, so I can afford to try a few things.

The Java version used is:
Java Version:
JRE 1.7.0 IBM J9 2.6 Linux amd64-64 Compressed References 20170718_357001 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
It's the default one, I haven't made any changes to jbe.ini

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 17 '18, 7:19 a.m.

I agree. I don't understand that part with "Admin" either. The only Idea I have would be to try different  -userId builduser -pass buildpassword combinations. 

Kevin Ramer commented Apr 17 '18, 8:38 a.m.

I have been seeing ADMIN used in this context for quite a while now.  As far as the OP goes, the addition of the Build license is insufficient as stated in the original message.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 17 '18, 8:52 a.m.

But if you set BuildUser as the user to run the JBE, you don't want and don't expect ADMIN to be used.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.