It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRDI: How to configure an already-started application server profile during RRDI setup?

Ken Murphy (1033235) | asked Jun 16 '14, 3:36 p.m.
edited Jun 17 '14, 4:34 a.m. by Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119)
Performing the setup process for RRDI v2.0.3 on a SLES-11 server with WAS 8.5.  On the Configure Application Server Profile screen, we are getting an error indicating that "The application server profile could not be started due to an error" when "Validating and starting the existing application server profile..."  Then we see this, "CRRRA0061E: An error occurred while starting an existing profile: CRRRA2007E: Cannot start the deployment manager."

We entered all of the information in the Step 1, "Configure application server properties", prompts and then clicked the Validate button for Step 2, "Validate and start the application server profile...".  Shouldn't the Validate button in Step 1 have been enabled instead?  In my mind, we shouldn't have had to do step 2 at all.

We already have the application server profile started, so how do we configure RRDI to use the already-started application server profile?

4 answers

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jun 17 '14, 4:33 a.m.
Hello Ken,

the RRDI setup application is usually able to start and stop the profile whenever needed.
An error like the one you get makes me think that there is either a problem in the WAS profile or in the interaction with the setup application.

I suggest reviewing the WAS and the setup application (<RRDI_Install>/setup/logs/rrdi_setup.log ) logs.
You can also check if you can start and stop the profile manually.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

permanent link
Ken Murphy (1033235) | answered Jun 17 '14, 12:01 p.m.
Francesco, I think my confusion may stem in part from the terminology.  In my understanding, a WebSphere profile is not something that can be stopped and started – it is a directory containing configuration information and application binaries.   Are you (and IBM Rational) using the term “profile” to mean a WAS node, or maybe a WAS appserver, or even a conflation of the two concepts.

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jun 17 '14, 12:11 p.m.
edited Jun 17 '14, 12:27 p.m.
Hello Ken,

sorry for the confusion, I'm not a WAS expert and the terminology I use might not be the correct one.
By "starting the WAS profile" I mean something like this:

/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/RationalReporting/bin/startServer.sh RationalReportingServer

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Jun 17 '14, 1:24 p.m.
I found that if one enables Administrative Security before RRDI setup is complete, this kind of issue can occur.

Sometimes I was able to recover, others I had to delete the WAS profile ( or let the setup re-create it ). 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.