It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRD 2.0.1 Installation SQL 2008 R2 Windows Server 2008 R2

JJ Baird (191812) | asked Nov 12 '13, 8:12 a.m.
retagged Nov 12 '13, 10:45 a.m. by Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119)
I have searched every possible question relating to this issue and have not yet found the issue:

I am installing RRDI 2.0.1 on Windows 2008 R2 with SQL Server 2008 R2 (on a different server). I have created a service account on the domain and added the service account to SQL Server as instructed. In the "Configure Data Warehouse" step, "Step 2" I enter this user in the Report User Name in the format: "Domain\UserName", however I get an error: CRRRD4785E: The report user <Domain\UserName> does not exist. When I enter an SQL account and password the validation does continue, when validating.

However when continuing with the SQL Server account I get an error on the 'Build and Deploy Reporting Components' step:

CRRRA3018E: The RIDW data source connection in Cognos failed to connect. Check if the database client is installed correctly or additional configurations are needed.

I have installed the JDBC driver and in the first step (Configure Database Management System) I point it to this location: C:\sqljdbc_4.0\enu\auth\x86\ - because the server requires a 32-bit version.

Also... Not sure if this is relevant, but when trying to connect to the database with Integrated security, an error is shown: "SQL ERROR: This driver is not configured for integrated authentication"

Comments
JJ Baird commented Nov 13 '13, 1:22 a.m.

I have managed to sort out the issues with the integrated authentication error. I had to copy add the jdbc driver to the Windows path variable, however... even with Windows authentication I still get the error:

CRRRA3018E: The RIDW data source connection in Cognos failed to connect. Check if the database client is installed correctly or additional configurations are needed.

2 answers

permanent link
JJ Baird (191812) | answered Nov 14 '13, 6:24 a.m.
I managed to find the solution. The database server was setup to use a different port than the standard SQL Server 2008 port number. Even though I entered the correct port number in the setup, it still failed with the above errors. After the setup failed, I opened the Cognos Administration Console and changed the connection string to include the port number next to the database name (separated by a comma). The connection successes.

Hope this helps other users as well.

Comments
Francesco Chiossi commented Nov 14 '13, 6:54 a.m.

Thanks for sharing the solution.

The fact that the non default port number is not updated in the data warehouse connection is a known issue tracked by the internal RRDI defect:
Defect 94040 RRDI Setup fails when SQL server runs on a non-default port

This is reported as fixed in the upcoming RRDI 2.0.5.

Best Regards
Francesco

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Nov 12 '13, 10:41 a.m.
Hello JJ,

you need the "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client for Microsoft SQL Server" installed on the RRDI server.

See the solution proposed in this technote for details:

RRDI 2.0: The logon failed.QE-DEF-0322 The connection string is invalid
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21647579

Best Regards
Francesco

Comments
JJ Baird commented Nov 12 '13, 1:05 p.m.

Hi Francesco,

Thank you for your response.The Microsoft SQL Server Native client for Microsoft SQL Server is installed on the RRDI server. I have also ensured that it works by creating an ODBC connection to the database using the native client as a driver.

Kind Regards
JJ Baird

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.