It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC Team Level permissions do not prevent moving artifacts from restricted folders to my team folder

Dolores Vogel (1031337) | asked Dec 09 '13, 2:42 p.m.
edited Dec 10 '13, 10:32 a.m.
Can you tell me if this is a defect or if the team permissions in RRC are working as designed:

• I have two teams set up in RRC: Team A and Team B.
  • I have user A only assigned to Team A and user B only assigned to Team B. Neither is set up with access at the project level.
  • I have folder A ownership set to Team A and folder B ownership set to Team B.
  • As expected, user A can only save and edit artifacts in folder A, and user B can only save and edit artifacts in folder B.
  • However, user A can move any artifact from any folder (including folder B and other folders where user A cannot save or edit artifacts) to folder A.
  • Likewise, user B can move any artifact from any folder (including folder A and other folders where user B cannot save or edit artifacts) to folder B.
So, is this a defect? If you're trying to limit who can edit certain artifacts, I don't think you would want users to be able to move the artifacts they shouldn't have rights to edit.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dominic Tulley (38114) | answered Dec 13 '13, 5:01 a.m.
Hi Dolores,
I would say that it is working as designed, but perhaps the design could be better.  We did debate having a separate "move" permission but didn't go down that route in the end.
I think I'm right in saying that even though user A can move things from folder B, that user still cannot modify them after moving them.

I think it would be reasonable to raise a defect on this (although it might be converted to an enhancement request).

thanks,

Dominic
Dolores Vogel selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dolores Vogel commented Dec 13 '13, 8:33 a.m.

Thanks! I also noticed that if a user with rights moves the artifact to the team-owned folder, a member of the team with rights to save/edit in the team-owned folder still can't edit it. I'll have my POC with IBM submit as an enhancement request.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.