It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC Requirements Management in modules

Sany Maamari (13243751) | asked Jul 16 '13, 1:39 p.m.
 Hi all, 
We are using RRC mainly with modules, we are creating requirement by importing Word documents in RRC modules. 
Inside these modules, we are linking requirements included in modules between them. 
The problem is the links shown inside the modules are not shown outside the modules. Thus disabling us to use the views in the dashboard and all the rest of the reporting feature. 

Does the links made inside modules shouldn't be displayed outside ? 
Am I missing something ? 

Thank you for your help
Sany

4 answers

permanent link
Dominic Tulley (38114) | answered Jul 17 '13, 10:04 a.m.
The behaviour you are seeing with the links is as intended.  When you see a particular requirement inside a module, that is actually a requirement being reused in that module.  The requirement also exists as a stand-alone artifact in the folder hierarchy (you've probably noticed the folders that live beside modules and which are created with the same name as the module - they contain the stand-alone artifacts).  We refer to these stand alone artifacts as "core artifacts".
When you create a link to a requirement, you can either link to "the requirement in the module" or to the "core artifact".  If you link to it in the module, then the link you create is only visible when you look at the artifact from within that module.  If you create the link to the core artifact, then the link is (optionally!) visible in every module where that core artifact is reused.
The bit that surprises me here is that I would have expected the dashboards to still work (for instance, the recent changes dashboard widget shows modifications to both core artifacts and artifacts in modules).  Similarly, I would expect reporting capabilities to see these links (but only attached to the artifact in the module, not the core artifact).  However, I'm not an expert on the reporting capability so perhaps I am wrong on that front.

I hope this helps.
-Dominic

permanent link
Sany Maamari (13243751) | answered Jul 18 '13, 5:22 a.m.
 Hi Dominic, 
Thank you for your answer, 
I understand that this would be an intended feature. 
My point about reporting( or dashboarding) is that we you wish to see for example (Requirements View), you need to specify a view. However, you can only specify view that are in the "core artefacts" not view saved inside the modules that shows the links of "the requirement in the module".
What bothers me most is not the Requirements View, but the traceability view that works the same (with core artefacts views). 
This makes that when we work with modules, we cannot see clearly all the traceability links inside the modules.

permanent link
Dominic Tulley (38114) | answered Jul 22 '13, 5:41 a.m.
Hi Sany,
I see what you mean, there is a gap here.
I've created enhancement 77198 (Working and linking within modules is not compatible with dashboard widgets like the "Requirements View" (77198)) to capture it.
For the traceability views, are you referring to the "configure links to show as a tree view" option in the artifact grid display and the fact that it is absent in the module display?  For that issue, we do have traceability columns in the module grid which can provide a slightly different experience (I guess you've seen those and they don't do what you need?).  We are also investigating a stronger traceability capability currently which should play nicely with links from within modules (but I don't have details or timescales at this point).

Comments
Sany Maamari commented Jul 22 '13, 9:06 a.m.

Hi Dominic, 

You are correct on every point

For that issue, we do have traceability columns in the module grid which can provide a slightly different experience (I guess you've seen those and they don't do what you need?)
Are you talking about column customization ? 
Yes in fact you can add the artefacts that are linked to the line in the module. But you cannot trace for example a test that validates a requirement that is linked to a line of the module. 

I don't know if i'm clear but there is a clearly a difference when artefacts are traced inside and outside a module

permanent link
Dominic Tulley (38114) | answered Jul 23 '13, 5:56 a.m.
In a module, you can add traceability columns, each of which shows trace information for one particular link type.  These columns can also show up to three attribute values from the other end of the link (this mechanism works within RM data but you cannot see attributes if the links are to another domain such as RQM).
You can add a column showing "Validated By", which will show the test cases associated with each requirement in a module (and then rich hover is available to see more details of the test case).  Unfortunately, you cannot show attributes from the test case directly in the column.  One thing you can do, however, is filter on "lifecycle status".  For instance, you can filter your module to show only the rows which have a failing test case linked to them (see "Filter by Attribute/Limit by lifecycle status").  These are the mechanisms I was referring to, which are not a replacement for the traceability capability in the grid, but which might prove useful.

The "traceability" capability in the artifact grid is limited to links to the core artifact as you have already seen so the only solution there is to make the ValidateBy links from the core artifacts instead of within the module (if you make the links from the RQM side then this is possible by finding the artifacts directly in the folder hierarchy instead of within the module.  If you are making the links from the RM side then it's a bit trickier, but you can do the same thing by finding the artifacts in the folder hierarchy and making the links from them).  I recognise that this is not ideal and I've added a note to 77198 including this case.
I hope this helps.
-Dominic

Comments
Sany Maamari commented Sep 19 '13, 5:42 a.m.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.