It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it too danger when double click an attachment of task if it is an executable file?

Gilbert Kwan (2113) | asked Aug 13 '13, 2:25 p.m.
I am using RTC client. When I went to the link tab of a work item, I double-clicked (i.e. open) an attachment which is a bat file. The bat was executed. Luckily, it did nothing against my system, but it scared me. If the attachment is an executable file, it can be a disaster on my system. Should it be handled in a safe manner?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Scott Cowan (966310) | answered Aug 13 '13, 4:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Gilbert,

I agree this is a security problem.  All of the latest browser versions download a file and then present an option to open it.  I just tested this with version 4.0.1 of the RTC client and was presented with a similar dialog below.  Maybe you're using an older version of RTC client, or in the past you checked the box to "Do not show this warning again".  You can toggle the warning in Preferences > Work Items > Show warning dialog before opening attachments.

Scott

Gilbert Kwan selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Gilbert Kwan commented Aug 13 '13, 6:03 p.m.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the information. I am using RTC client 4.0.3. I checked that the "Show warning dialog before opening attachments" and "Show warning dialog before opening links with external programs" preferences are enabled, but I still didn't get the warning dialog.

Gilbert

Gilbert Kwan commented Aug 13 '13, 6:46 p.m.

I can see the warning dialog for saved attachment. If double click on the non-saved attachment,  the warning dialog won't show up.

One other answer

permanent link
Philip Smith (1862) | answered Aug 13 '13, 6:10 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Use the "Save As..." button to download the attachment. Double-click opens the attachment which for executable stuff means that it is executed.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.