It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Repo workspace used by builds

Jeff Foege (45266960) | asked Nov 13 '12, 6:01 p.m.
I was wondering why I need to exclude components from a build definition that uses a workspace defined to not have the other components. Whats the point of defining a workspace if I then have to exclude components that are not in the repo workspace in order to do a build on that one component?

I have one stream that has around 10 components in it. I just wanted to build one of those so I defined a repo workspace with that one component. I couldn't figure out why I kept getting a message from the builds "Loading the directories in the file system would overwrite/remove existing directories." Then I finally remembered the build definition has the components to exclude option. IMO, the build system should accept the defined repo workspace and not try to add other components.

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Nov 14 '12, 1:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If the stream has more components than the build's repository workspace, the RTC Build can't easily figure out whether (1) you intentionally created the workspace with fewer components and want to keep it that way, or (2) some new components were recently added to the stream and you want to add them to the repository workspace so they will get built.  When you run a build, RTC will assume option #2 and add new components to the repository workspace when it accepts changes from the stream.

If you want to repository workspace to have fewer components than the stream, then you need to open the repository workspace editor in the Eclipse client, edit the flow target (near the bottom of the editor window), and select "Flow only components checked below."  If you do that, then the extra components will not be added to the repository workspace, and you won't have to worry about modifying the build definition to specify the components to not load.
Jeff Foege selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jeff Foege commented Nov 14 '12, 11:52 a.m. | edited Nov 14 '12, 11:55 a.m.

Thanks David.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.