It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why would I get the error "Unable to display ClearQuest Import Wizard"?

Alexander Dawson (2542328) | asked Sep 24 '12, 5:08 p.m.
I'm attempting to run from the client the Import utility to import records from our ClearQuest installation.

This being run from File>Import
When I attempt to pick the source Team>ClearQuest Records,

I get a pop up error of:
Unable to display the ClearQuest Import Wizard
We could not find the CQ Installation, please locate it for us or cancel this dialog if CQ is not installed.

The trouble is, there's nowhere in the pop up to me to select a CQ app.  Where is this configured?

Thanks in advance!

Comments
Matthew Alexander commented Sep 25 '12, 1:39 p.m. | edited Mar 17 '15, 2:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Alexander,

This is not a very good error message.  Could you tell me which version of RTC you are using so I can make sure we improve it?

You shouldn't be asked to locate the CQ installation.  The Importer should be able to find the CQ installation on its own.  Is ClearQuest installed on the same machine as RTC?  If so, and if you still have problems, could you also give me the version number of CQ?

Also, the ClearQuest Import Wizard will only run in the 32-bit version of the RTC client.  Please make sure you are using the 32-bit version of the RTC client, even if your machine is 64-bit.

Alexander Dawson commented Sep 26 '12, 1:21 p.m. | edited Mar 17 '15, 2:43 p.m.

Hi Matthew.  Thanks for your response.

It's CQ Client version 7.0.1 running on a 32 Bit XP machine
RTC is the Client running verision 3.0.1.2

The clients are running on the same machine, the respective servers are not though.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Matthew Alexander (18126) | answered Sep 26 '12, 3:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Alexander,

Thank you for the info.

The ClearQuest Import Wizard requires access to ClearQuest's cqjni.jar file to run.  Your RTC client can't find the cqjni.jar file, which is causing this error message to appear.

Make sure the cqjni.jar file is on the same machine as your RTC client.  It should be, if CQ is installed.  The cqjni.jar file is usually located in the ...IBM\RationalSDLC\ClearQuest directory.

The CQ Import Wizard finds the cqjni.jar file by checking your system's environment variables.  To view environment variables on Windows XP, right-click on the "My Computer" desktop icon and select "Properties", then click the "Advanced" tab.  Next, click the "Environment Variables" button.

The CQ Import Wizard looks for the cqjni.jar variable by first checking the CLASSPATH variable, then the CLEARQUEST_HOME variable, then the RATIONAL_HOME variable, then the CQ_HOME variable.  One of these should contain a listing for the directory that contains your cqjni.jar file.  If they do not, manually add it to one of the variables.  The variables should have been set during the CQ installation.

If you still have problems, you may try adding the full path including the cqjni.jar file to a variable.  For example, the CLASSPATH may be set to include C:\IBM\RationalSDLC\ClearQuest\cqjni.jar

It may take a reboot of your machine to recognize changes to the environment variables.

Good luck, and let me know if you still have problems.

Alexander Dawson selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Alexander Dawson commented Sep 27 '12, 11:47 a.m.

I followed these steps and the solution worked great!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.