It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problems importing DOORS requirements in to RRC

Doyle Kint (2311014) | asked Aug 14 '12, 12:47 p.m.
Currently my requirements are in DOORS.  I exported them to a .csv in order to import them in to RRC.  There are attributes in DOORS that I'd like to preserve in RRC.  The first time I tried the import, the non-standard attributes didn't get imported because they weren't found in RRC.   So I created the attributes in RRC and tried the import again.  This time, RRC didn't complain and the requirements were created in RRC, but none of the data in the new attributes was imported.  What am I missing?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Aug 16 '12, 10:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Doyle,

Excel does not store the encoding using UTF-8 format. So after you have done all your manipulation in Excel. Open the csv file in notepad and select save (as), choosing at the bottom of the window, the encoding to be UTF-8 rather than the default ANSI - this is usually next to the save button.

And try importing again. Hopefully it will work this time.
Doyle Kint selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Doyle Kint commented Aug 17 '12, 9:34 a.m.

I was able to get this to work saving as UTF-8.

Thanks!

One other answer

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Aug 15 '12, 2:27 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Doyle,

Which versions of DOORS and RRC are you using? I ask because if it is the latest versions then ReqIF can be used, as described in this help topic:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Fr_compare_data_exchange.html

If you are not using the latest versions, in the csv file is it encoded using UTF-8 format? Also are there any special characters in front of the attribute values that need to be removed and does the name of the attribute columns match the name of the attribute?

In RRC V4 the column name is the UI name, in V3 this was not the case. One way to ensure the column names are correct for import, is to create in RRC a requirement of the artifact type you want, with all the attribute columns displayed in a saved view and export that view to a csv file. The columns names in the export are the names that should be used for the DOORS import.

If the column name and UTF-8 format is correct then I am not sure why the attributes are not imported.

Comments
Doyle Kint commented Aug 16 '12, 8:06 a.m.

Hi, Robin

I am using DOORS 9.4 and RRC 3.0.1.3.

I did exactly what you said - Created the attributes, created a view that showed those attributes, created a "dummy" requirement that showed up in that view, and then exported that to csv. I then took the csv created by the DOORS export, and copied/pasted the data in to the proper columns (preserving the headers) of the RRC export.

I am not sure about the UTF-8 format. I'm not even sure I would know how to check. I am using Excel to open and manipulate the csv files.

I will do the export/import again, just to make sure, and I will also investigate the ReqIF method to see if I can get that to work.

Thanks!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.