It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to config enumeration values from database in RTC 4.0?

Fausto Lemos (16811518) | asked Jul 26 '12, 10:11 a.m.
 Hi,

i'm trying to use enumerations stored at database in rtc 4.0. However i don't understand how this suppost to works. I was thinking that i will be able to set a data source, table name, id/label columns and thats it, but when i try to insert a new enum i just select my "storage option" and then i create at process configuration screen the enum values. Is that right? if so, how can i change this values at alm database?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jul 26 '12, 11:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 26 '12, 11:09 a.m.
Hi Fausto,

you are not supposed to access the database directly. When selecting database the enumeration is stored in some part of the RTC database and managed for you. You use it like any other enumeration, but management and later changes are easier.

If you archive a literal it is not available any longer for usage. Items that have the value set still will show the value. You can however not select it any longer if you want to change it. Records that have it will show a red cross. You can run a query against items that have it still assigned (use the menu of the condition to be able to select archived values). You can change the items.

If you delete a value the same happens and you can actually ask and see which items still have it. You should change those before deleting.
Fausto Lemos selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Fausto Lemos commented Jul 26 '12, 1:45 p.m. | edited Jul 26 '12, 2:17 p.m.

Hi Ralph,

tks for the response. Just one more question: this article https://jazz.net/library/article/1003 says that " Each literal can provide a Name, an Icon, and an optional External Value. External values can be used for accessing attributes via RTC's REST API, such as the OSLC implementation." 

Irrespective of what type of storage i choose (process or database), it's right to say that the value stored at work item field its the external value, or still being something like "enum.literal.l1", "enum.literal.l2"?

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 26 '12, 3:26 p.m. | edited Jul 26 '12, 3:27 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would assume the value stored at the attribute is going to be the internal value of the name. OSLC would return the name or, if defined the external value. Please be aware, at XML level you could have changed the literal value in the past. Several people have actually done that to make the value queryable when used in conjunction with the old enumeration list representation that was stored as a ; seperated list of enumeration literals.

Hakki Bozkurt commented Feb 09 '16, 3:31 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Can i do this RTC502 or 601? I need populite my enumaration in rtc, from other system database. How can i do this?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.