It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cannot handle Rich Text format in Import/Export using CVS format - RRC 4.0 and 3.0.1.2

Saran Kathirvelu (36911) | asked Jun 06 '12, 11:18 a.m.
edited Jun 06 '12, 11:22 a.m.

I tried exporting a Requirement Artifact in Rich Text format (that includes Rich Text elements like Tables, Bullets, Numbering, Bold Text, Underlined Text etc) which gave an output file in CSV format. Now I tried to Import this downloaded CSV file back into RRC using the ReqIF functionality in RRC 4.0 . The requirements that was created or imported from the CSV file has lost all its Rich Text formatting (i.e., all the rich text elements look jumbled) . Is this a known issue or am i missing something?

Notes --

1. I see the same issue in RRC version 3.0.1.2
   2. We would be really dissapointed if the RRC Dev Team says that Export / Import CANNOT handle Rich Text formats. 
   3. I checked the exported CSV file on my hard disk. The Primary Text column on the CSV file looks similar (i.e., lost all its rich text formats) to the output I see after importing back in RRC.

Steps to Re-produce this Issue in RRC 4.0 and 3.0.1.2 --

1. Create a Requirement artifact with Rich Text elements
    2. Create a view or filter and Export the artifact as CSV file.
    3. Import the downloaded CSV file in RRC (using Import functionality in 3.0.1.2 & ReqIF in RRC 4.0)

2 answers

permanent link
Saran Kathirvelu (36911) | answered Jun 06 '12, 11:23 a.m.
Why is my question not renedered properly? I tried even pasting in plain text format. No use.

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jun 13 '12, 4:09 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 13 '12, 4:40 p.m.
As indicated in Wikipedia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

"CSV" is not a single, well-defined format (although see RFC 4180 for one definition that is commonly used). Rather, in practice the term "CSV" refers to any file that:

1. is plain text using a character set such as ASCII, Unicode, EBCDIC, or Shift JIS,
  2. consists of records (typically one record per line),
  3. with the records divided into fields separated by delimiters (typically a single reserved character such as comma, semicolon, or tab; sometimes the delimiter may include optional spaces),
  4. where every record has the same sequence of fields.

The key to your question is "CSV" is plain text, so when exporting from RRC it is converted to plain text. Now with  RRC V4 use ReqIF to export and import, this should also preserve the rich text formatting, as well as the type system, so you can exchange data not only between different RM products like DOORS 9.4 and RRC V4, but also between RRC projects.

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-requirements-composer/releases/4.0?p=news#reqif

This help topic explains the different data exchange capabilities in RRC V4

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Fr_compare_data_exchange.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.