It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Permissions question

Carrie Boden (2145) | asked Mar 08 '12, 12:18 p.m.
retagged Jun 22 '12, 5:28 p.m. by David Olsen (5237)
Hi

I did have a good handle on permissions, but I'm concerned I've made an incorrect assumption at some point.

I believed that if I had user X assigned at the project area level as a team member, that made them a team member in all sub teams.

Is this correct?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Jun 22 '12, 9:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

just caught your question when going through unanswered question 60+ days ...
Meanwhile you probably found the answer yourself:
Adding a user X to the project area as team member does NOT make them a member in any (sub) team area.

Every team area and sub team area can have completely different team members with different roles in each team area. The only things that team areas inherit from the project area is process and roles, but those can be configured differently in team areas, too.

Though late, does this answer your question?

- Arne
Seth Packham selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Carrie Boden commented Jun 26 '12, 8:21 a.m.

I played enough with the permissions in a sandbox to work out that I was wrong in my assumption, but thanks for confirming!

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 26 '12, 9:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would suggest to read https://jazz.net/library/article/291 the related article https://jazz.net/library/article/292 and https://jazz.net/library/video/106 because there is some inheritance mechanism in place.

The lookup starts from the process area that governs the operation. For each of the roles that the user plays in the governing process area, we first look for a configuration in the governing process area and then work our way up the parent hierarchy to the project area. If an area configures behavior for different iterations, we choose the configuration that is most applicable to the current point in time. We use the behavior configuration that is found for the first of the user's roles. Now let's break down these steps to see what the implications are.

The text above is for operational behavior. For permissions the user accumulates permissions starting with the team area that governs the operation up to the project area.

If you have configured the Team Configuration of the project area, the sub teams inherit that permission, unless you specifically override it.

Honestly, i have to play with it myself to be sure, i haven't thought about it for some time and I am not convinced I'd get it right the first time currently...

The Eclipse Client provides the "Generate runtime report" on the Project area context menu, that sometimes comes in handy.

permanent link
Carrie Boden (2145) | answered Jun 26 '12, 8:20 a.m.
I played enough with the permissions in a sandbox to work out that I was wrong in my assumption, but thanks for confirming!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.