It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How does "Fail if not installed" affect users of other clients?

Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | asked Feb 22 '13, 2:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 22 '13, 3:06 p.m. by Jared Burns (4.5k29)
I've created a precondition that is installed as an Eclipse plugin.  If I add a precondition to the Source Control > Deliver (client) operation and check "Fail if not installed," how does that affect users of other clients like the VS client or the Windows Shell integration?  Will they still be able to deliver even though they do not have the precondition installed?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Feb 22 '13, 6:35 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Lauren, if they don't have the advisor installed the operation should fail. This is to prevent avoiding the advisor by not installing it. If you don't want that, don't check that option.
Lauren Hayward Schaefer selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Feb 25 '13, 6:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

So there is no way to require the advisor for any user who is using the Eclipse client, but not require it for any user who is using some other client where it would not even be possible to install the advisor?

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 25 '13, 7:01 a.m. | edited Feb 25 '13, 7:01 a.m.

Hi Lauren,

first, there is server and client operational behavior. I think the OOTB server operational behavior should be always available. I am not sure what happens if you forget to deploy a custom operational (e.g. in an upgrade) behavior and have it configured as required. I would expect you could not deliver without either providing it or making it optional.

If you configure client operational behavior as "fail if not installed", and you want to check in with a client that does not have the behavior configured, it fails. See the screenshot of a RTC Shell that tries to deliver and where the unused imports client precondition  is mandatory.

So I don't see how you can do what you described in your comment.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Feb 25 '13, 7:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Let's say we have both the "Fail if not installed" and "User may overrule" boxes checked.  A user of the Windows shell integration tries to deliver a file.  It would fail by default because the plugin is not installed.  Can users of the shell integration overrule preconditions?  Can users of the VS client overrule preconditions?

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 25 '13, 7:39 a.m.

In my test it fails if the precondition set to fail if not installed is not installed. I could not override it and in the windows shell I see no option to override it.

In order for this to work you have to make it optional.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Feb 25 '13, 7:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks for all of the info!  I have no experience with those clients, so I appreciate you trying it out!

Jared Burns commented Feb 25 '13, 4:12 p.m.

Thanks, Ralph, for the great answers. One thing I want to clarify for future reference is that the behavior is really dependent on the client's capabilities. In the Eclipse client, for example, you can overrule a precondition that fails because it's not installed.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.