It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is VS.NET 2008 Express Edition supported?

Timur Markunin (6495166146) | asked Oct 12 '11, 10:33 a.m.
Hi,

Is it possible to install RTC Client for MS VS IDE V3.0.1 into VS.NET 2008 Express Edition?

I've found this list of supported IDEs (https://jazz.net/library/article/632):
Additional IDEs

* Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 with .NET 4.0
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SP1 with .NET 3.5 SP1
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 SP1 with .NET 3.5 SP1

But it's still not clear if Express Edition is supported or not.

-thanks in advance

3 answers

permanent link
Jack Sussmilch (11) | answered Oct 15 '11, 6:21 p.m.
Hi,

Is it possible to install RTC Client for MS VS IDE V3.0.1 into VS.NET 2008 Express Edition?

I have just tried an install with an express version at home, and out of the box it appears not to. I am going to see if I can hack it and wedge it into VS VB Express,C# express and C++ 2008 editions.

I will keep you posted. Unless Microsoft have disabled SCC from their express editions, I don't see why this shouldn't work.

permanent link
Jack Sussmilch (11) | answered Oct 15 '11, 6:41 p.m.
Hi,

I have just tried an install with an express version at home, and out of the box it appears not to. I am going to see if I can hack it and wedge it into VS VB Express,C# express and C++ 2008 editions.
/quote]

Actually, scratch that. Apparently Microsoft have decided that the express editions should not integrate with any CM system - regardless of whther it is a M$ system or not and regardless of whether or not you have bought a CM system or not:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30835/source-versioning-for-visual-studio-express

I don't want to be sued for helping anyone out, so unless you want to fork out for a full version of MSDS, you will have to just use RTC separately and do the good ol' Alt Tab thing.

Even Hobbyists need CM control, and students sure should be familiar with at least the basics of version control.

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered Oct 20 '11, 2:21 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Actually, scratch that. Apparently Microsoft have decided that the express editions should not integrate with any CM system - regardless of whther it is a M$ system or not and regardless of whether or not you have bought a CM system or not:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30835/source-versioning-for-visual-studio-express

I don't want to be sued for helping anyone out, so unless you want to fork out for a full version of MSDS, you will have to just use RTC separately and do the good ol' Alt Tab thing.

Even Hobbyists need CM control, and students sure should be familiar with at least the basics of version control.

Hi,
As you pointed out, RTC is not supported on visual studio Express edition. The reason is, that the express edition does not provide support for Visual Studio extensibility.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.