It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

VS2010 crashes when opening solution with RTC

Michael Prentice (622913) | asked Mar 26 '12, 9:59 a.m.
I had VS2010 and RTC working fine last week. But this morning when I open up my solution in VS2010, it crashes every time. Below is the event from the Windows event viewer.

Everything comes up fine without a solution loaded. I can browse RTC views and data. But as soon as I open my solution (with RTC built into it), it does the preparing fine, then starts loading the Pending Changes view and says 'Scanning #includes for additional files...' and then crashes.

If I open a non-RTC solution first and then open the RTC solution, the problem does not happen.

Application: devenv.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
Stack:
at MS.Internal.Data.EnumerableCollectionView.ProcessCollectionChanged(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Data.CollectionView.OnCollectionChanged(System.Object, System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.NotifyCollectionChangedProxy.PropageProxiedCollectionChange(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.NotifyCollectionChangedProxy+<>c__DisplayClass2.<OnProxiedCollectionChanged>b__0()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.WorkerThreadElementContainer.UIWorkerThreadStart(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(System.Object)

Accepted answer

permanent link
Krishna Kishore (50112) | answered Mar 28 '12, 5:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

The stack trace we cant figure out the problem with the RTC plugin, the stack does not have any RTC function calls, it looks like a threading issue with Visual Studio. Can you please raise a defect in jazz.net and attach the trace files so we can investigate the problem.

How to turn on the tracing and collect the log files is explained in the article https://jazz.net/library/article/601#How_Turn_On_Tracing

As you said, this scenario was working before, did some thing change in on the system(like installing some .NET/VS or OS patches) which might be triggering this crash.

Thanks,
Kishore

I had VS2010 and RTC working fine last week. But this morning when I open up my solution in VS2010, it crashes every time. Below is the event from the Windows event viewer.

Everything comes up fine without a solution loaded. I can browse RTC views and data. But as soon as I open my solution (with RTC built into it), it does the preparing fine, then starts loading the Pending Changes view and says 'Scanning #includes for additional files...' and then crashes.

If I open a non-RTC solution first and then open the RTC solution, the problem does not happen.

Application: devenv.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
Stack:
at MS.Internal.Data.EnumerableCollectionView.ProcessCollectionChanged(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Data.CollectionView.OnCollectionChanged(System.Object, System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.NotifyCollectionChangedProxy.PropageProxiedCollectionChange(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.NotifyCollectionChangedProxy+<>c__DisplayClass2.<OnProxiedCollectionChanged>b__0()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.WorkerThreadElementContainer.UIWorkerThreadStart(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(System.Object)
Michael Prentice selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Prentice commented Jan 17 '13, 2:42 p.m.

Nothing changed to trigger this problem.

We're now on RTC 4.0.1 and I'm just hoping that this issue will not present itself there. I was not able to gather anymore tracing information to this point. If it does occur again, I will gather the information.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.