It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why needs RRC on Linux X Server running?

Belinda Spachta (53187) | asked Dec 15 '09, 1:14 a.m.
I can only start the RRC Server if my Putty Session has the Display variable set and on my PC the X-Server is running. Is this normal? RTC and RQM run without the mentioned variables, why cant RRC do the same?

In Catalina.out my error message says:
The application '<unknown>' lost its connection to the display localhost:10.0; most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed the application.

6 answers

permanent link
Meik A Doell (6151) | answered Dec 15 '09, 11:52 a.m.
Same problem here using Websphere. We cannot even put the startup of RRC into the init.d scripts! After server reboot, we need to manually (!) use a special maintenance-only terminal server connection to fire up RRC and then we can disconnect again.
Note: Not that any window would actually come up on the display... Seems that RRC just needs the handle...

The error message here is:
Exception in thread "SWT Display Thread" org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Dec 15 '09, 7:27 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As I understand it, this is due to the image conversions that are performed on the server for the web ui.

ETA: Just to further clarify, by image conversions I'm referring to the process by which artifacts such as sketches, storyboards, process diagrams, etc are rendered on the web.

permanent link
Belinda Spachta (53187) | answered Dec 16 '09, 6:07 a.m.
Hello, solved the problem for me, we have an Xvfb running so i set the Display variable in the server.startup file to the Xvfb display and now it works. Thanks for your replies.

belinda

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Dec 17 '09, 8:30 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, sorry. There is a technote that describes this case:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3499&context=SSWMEQ&q1=RN2.0&uid=swg21410023&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

permanent link
Meik A Doell (6151) | answered Dec 21 '09, 8:59 a.m.
Wow, thanks a million for the link to that technote!
That will solve the problem for us as well!!!

permanent link
Erik Jägervall (73710) | answered Jun 14 '12, 9:41 a.m.
Does anyone knows if this problem also concerns Rational Design Management 4.0. We are experiencing similar problems there....

Comments
Robin Bater commented Jun 14 '12, 12:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't know, but given that DM is converting models to images, I suspect there is a chance that could be the same problem.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.