It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Trend of requirements changes via RRDI

Steve Arnold (28131511) | asked Sep 19 '12, 11:44 a.m.
I'm trying to create a graph in RRDI which shows a trend of how many requirements were modified each day.

I can get other trends - but this one is eluding me.

I've tried two places - using the Total Changes metric inside the requirements area - this just always returns 0 - even if I add new requirements.

I've also tried using the "requirement modification date metrics", and using the measures inside there.  I'm getting no results at all from that - a bit like there is nothing there.

Any thoughts what I might be doing wrong - or anyone out there who has got this to work ?

I'm using CLM4 and RRDI v2

Any help much appreciated

Steve

3 answers

permanent link
Peter Haumer (2.2k12019) | answered Sep 21 '12, 8:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Steve.
RRC's REST services currently do not include any version information. That's why the metrics are empty. See below for a new article on DW that lists which metrics work and which do not for CLM.

Personally, I think the RRC usage model would have to define what a requirements change that should be counted really mean. Currently RRC creates a new version of a requirement every time you save. As I never trust web application I tend to save every minute or so when writing. Would counting the version then really be helpful? The metric would express the level of my paranoia, but nut changing requirements. I think there needs to be something like a special save or baseline operation that should be used for such a metric and not the current versioning model. What do you think?

Improve the value of CLM reports by using metrics: A guide to using metrics with Rational Reporting for Development Intelligence and Rational Insight
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/improve-value-clm-reports-metrics/index.html
By Peter Haumer, Senior Software Engineer, IBM, USA
The applications that comprise Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) provide over 200 sample reports. Adding either the Rational Reporting for Development Intelligence (RRDI) component or IBM Rational Insight gives you more options and access to the data warehouse metrics. This is in-depth look at the metrics and how to use them.
Product: Rational Insight

permanent link
Steve Arnold (28131511) | answered Sep 22 '12, 2:10 p.m.
edited Sep 25 '12, 3:05 p.m.
Hi Peter

What I am after is knowing how many different requirements were modified on a given day, how many were deleted, and how many new ones.  I don't ( at this time) need to know that requirement x was modified 7 times.

What I'm trying to do, is build out some trend information, to help people understand whether their requiremetns are stabilising.

Does that make sense ?  And I think it would be easier to do than what you're suggesting, and more useful. 

I have an idea for a work around - so I will try and give that a go.

Do I need to add an enhancement request for these metrics to be popoulated - or is it covered somewhere ?

Cheers

Steve

permanent link
Peter Haumer (2.2k12019) | answered Sep 25 '12, 3:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Not with the current fact table schema, which requires a version number in addition to a change date. Hence, they are empty.

In the ODS table you will only get that last change date for each requirement. (I am not 100% sure what constitutes a change, though. We need the RM team for this: for example, if the rich text has changed, does it mean that the REST regards it as changed as the rich text is not provided by the REST). Then, if your requirement changed yesterday and the day before a report that shows the requirements that changed the day before would miss this one as you have no trend.

You could write easily a report in Report Studio that shows how many requirements in total have changed since a certain date, though.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.