It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

After stopping Websphere services and Java, what is my indicator that everything is ready for me to shutdown Windows?

Tom Barber (11) | asked Dec 12 '19, 3:25 p.m.

We are writing a procedure to safely shutdown a distributed Jazz CLM (6.0.5) environment consisting of JTS,CCM,QM,RM,DCC,RS.  All hosted on Windows 2012 R2 machines and using Websphere 8.5.5.11.

I believe we have the correct procedure of stopping Websphere and then Java on each server, with the server running JTS to be the last one to stop.  Then, we take down the database.

I have two questions:
1. What is my indicator that everything is ready for me to end the Java process?
2. What is my indicator that it is okay to shutdown the host operating system (Windows 2012 R2)?

We currently stop Websphere and wait 4-10 minutes depending on which apps are on that server.  Then, we end the Java processes and wait 1-2 minutes.  Then, we shutdown the OS.  After that, we move on to the next machine.

I figure my wait times are long enough, because it has been a couple of years since having to reindex anything after bringing Jazz back up.

Our sysadmin would like to be a little more scientific about it, and perhaps save some time, especially in a power outage situation, where we are at the mercy of UPS battery life.

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks!

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.