It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Artifact Categories owned by team - What's the use for this?

Jürgen Brückler (69222) | asked Aug 24 '18, 7:44 a.m.
edited Aug 24 '18, 7:47 a.m.

In RQM 6.0.5 there is a chance to assign Artifact Categories (e.g. a Test Case Category) to a Team Area.
These categories are displayed with the remark "Owned by Team: xy".

I'd like to have the Test Artifacts of several teams stored in the same RQM project area, but each team has its own categorizing and grouping of their artifacts (e.g. Test Cases). I'd like to use the concept of Categories for this and did assign each Category I've created to a different team.

I was hoping that once I select a team area when creating an artifact, the available categories will be limited to those assigned to this team (visible in the Summary-section of the Test Case Editor).
But unfortunately for each Category (and subcategory) a combobox will be displayed - no matter if the corresponding category is owned by the team area of this artifact or not.

As the help does not say very much about the possibility to assign a Team Area to an Artifact Category, I would like to ask the community what's the use of setting a team ownership for an artifact category.

At the moment the best way I am aware of achieving what I want is this way.
But it's annoying having to set the Team Area twice for an artifact: First as artifact attribute (in the top overview section for artifacts) and second as category value.

Thanks!
Juergen

Accepted answer

permanent link
Antonio Napoles (2861) | answered Aug 29 '18, 11:32 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Juergen,

the purpose of making categories based on team area was for permission concerns. There was a requirement of let users to create/edit/delete category values for certain category but, not for the entire category universe. Categories assigned to a team area can be managed for users having permissions on those team areas but at the same time, be restricted on the categories under the general project area.

Al brief of the change from the release delivered: https://jazz.net/pub/new-noteworthy/rqm/6.0.3/6.0.3/index.html#5

"Set permissions for categories at the team area level
You can now set permissions for categories at the team area level. For example, a category at the project level sets permissions for a single user role, but you can also have a different category at the team area level that sets permissions for that same user role within a team. As part of this change, team area configurations now support Save Category and Save Category Value permissions."

regards,
    Napoles

Jürgen Brückler selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.