It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cannot Insert Artifacts into Existing Module

Scott Ankrum (25613) | asked Feb 21 '17, 1:52 p.m.

I don't know what I did, but suddenly, I cannot insert artifacts into a module I created with several requirement artifacts.  I was able to do it earlier, but not any more.  I can still edit the attributes of the individual requirements.  If I select the edit pencil on the left end of a row and click on the little down arrow, the first option I see in the list is "Insert New Artifact". When I select that, the four options that appear to the right are all grayed out.

This is a test environment that I am just using to learn.  I'm sure I did something without knowing it that caused this, but I don't know what I did.  What can I do to put things back so I can again insert requirements?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Philipp Waldinger (1313) | answered Feb 24 '17, 11:24 a.m.
edited Feb 24 '17, 11:26 a.m.

Before IBM Jazz RM 6.0.3, it was not possible to do structural changes (like inserting artifacts) in a module as long as either a sorting or a filtering are enabled in the current view.

I think the reason is that there can always arise problems if you try to do structural changes on data where you don't see all the structure.

This limitation was removed in version 6.0.3.

If you use version 6.0.2 or earlier of IBM Jazz RM, can you please check whether you have a sorting enabled or a filter is active in the module to which you cannot add artifacts?

Scott Ankrum selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Scott Ankrum commented Feb 24 '17, 11:35 a.m.

That was it.  Thank you Philipp.  I'm still learning, so I had created an attribute that matches the level numbers of the Contents column.  I clicked on something and got the artifacts out of order. So, I sorted by my level artifact, thinking it all looked good. I see now that one click on a column heading sorts low to high, a second click sorts high to low, and a third click reverts to the original unsorted order.  This is different and not obvious but easy to remember.

Donald Nong commented Mar 15 '17, 8:59 p.m.

A technote has recently been published regarding the same issue.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21995502

I prefer Philipp's answer though.

One other answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Feb 21 '17, 6:51 p.m.

First thing you need to check is whether you still have the Modify Artifact permission of a specific type. For example, if the module is of type Use Case Specification, you need to the permission to modify this type of artifacts to insert artifacts in the module.

Other things you can try is log out and log in again. Or even restarting the server.

Comments
Scott Ankrum commented Feb 22 '17, 1:53 p.m.
Thank you Donald.
I had previously assigned all roles to myself.  Following your advice, I checked the permissions and gave the Author role every permission under Requirements Management Resources, including: Save Artifact, Create Artifact, Delete Artifact, and Modify Artifact.
I can edit artifact attributes, and I can edit an artifact row.  I cannot "Cut" an artifact.  I can create an artifact by selecting under the Artifacts pull-down.  But, in the columnar artifact list expanded from a module, all of the options to the right of Insert New Artifact, Insert Existing Artifact, and Upload New Artifact are grayed out.

Donald Nong commented Feb 23 '17, 4:34 a.m.

Let's make it simple - when you open a module, there should be a blue Edit button in the Module section. Is it enabled (so you can click on it) or not?

Scott Ankrum commented Feb 24 '17, 10:20 a.m.
Yes, there is an Edit button, and I can edit the module contents, the contents of any of the artifacts in the module as well as their attributes.  The only thing I cannot do is add artifacts to the module. 
I also checked that I can add another module, sibling to the existing module.  In another project, created with a different project template, I am still able to add artifacts to a module with existing artifacts in that other project.
I have also created a second module in the current project and slibling to the module to which I cannot add artifacts.  In the new module, I am able to add artifacts.  I added two requirements and added a child requirement under each of those.
I am lost as to why this one module no longer lets me add artifacts within it, when I used to be able to. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.