It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why is the error "Category Type limit exceeded" seen when there is only one category added?

Maria Amalan (784366) | asked May 24 '16, 5:56 a.m.
Under Test Case categories, I have only one category and deleted all the rest. However, when I try to add a new category, I am seeing the following error. Can someone please tell me how I can fix this because I need to add 2 more categories.

2 answers

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21114139) | answered May 24 '16, 6:50 a.m.
Hi, Maria

50 is the hard-coded limit in this case and archived/deleted category types are counted toward this limit.
You may go to trash view and restore the deleted category and then rename those category and use instead to workaround this limit.

I hope this helps.
Thanks

Comments
Maria Amalan commented May 24 '16, 7:06 a.m.

Thanks for your response Don.

Actually, I deleted all the categories from the trash thinking it might help with this error. Is there any other workaround?

Don Yang commented May 24 '16, 7:43 p.m.

Hi, Maria

I don't think there is any workaround in this situation. You may have to create a new project areas and use copyUtility to move the existing assets over to the new project areas(if you need those artifacts) and create new categories in the new project.

permanent link
Thao Nguyen (37334) | answered Jan 19 '18, 2:22 a.m.

Hi all,

Do we have any problems if we have over 50 sub-categories inside such as

Category 1
   Category 1.1
   Category 1.49
   Category 1.50
   Category 1.51
Category 2
Category 40

Comments
Maria Amalan commented Jan 23 '18, 1:12 a.m.

Yes, i believe the sub-categories are also counted towards the limit.
I got this issue resolved by extending the limit at the server level. Comment provided to me by the jazz team - " In 6.0.3, we introduced an experimental Advanced Property (Test Component >> com.ibm.rqm.planning.service.internal.ColumnMappingService >> Maximum number of categories for an artifact type) to increase the 50 category type limit up to 100 (see Add additional slots for categories (151956)).  Note, after a value is set, you can only increase it: you cannot decrease it."

Thao Nguyen commented Jan 23 '18, 1:57 a.m.

Thank you Maria, it is useful to have it

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.