It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[Q] Link between artifacts vs. Link between artifacts in module

Taemin(TM) KO (91410) | asked Jan 12 '16, 11:18 p.m.
There are 2 modules, Module100 and Module200.
Module100 has artifacts Art101, Art102
Module200 has artifacts Art201, Art202

When I create link, Satisfy, from Art101 in Module100 to Art201 in Module200, link relation is displayed in module.
Which means, when I select Art101 into detailed page from Moudle100, above link relation is displayed.
But when I create a view from artifacts (not in module) to display Satisfy relation, above link is not displayed.

When I create link, Satisfy, from Art101 to Art201, link relation is displayed in artifacts view, but not in module view.

Even I used same link, Satisfy, link relation created in module context and individual artifact context is managed differently, which makes me confused. In classical DOORS, every link relation is managed as a whole if I used same link, for example Satisfy. It's simple and intuitive.

Any rationale to manage those links differently in DNG?
Any practical use case for that?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jan 13 '16, 12:58 a.m.
This is quite similar to some old posts, such as the below one.
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/146049/artifact-linking-in-module

Basically you need to understand the concept of a "module artifact", and a "base artifact", and the difference between them.

Part of the reason you put the artifacts into a module is to reuse them (from their "base" form). If you are concerned about whether the module artifact or the base artifact should be linked, I would suggest that - if the link should be applied before the artifact being reused (out of the module context), you put the link on the base artifact; if the link should be applied after artifact being reused (in the module context), you put the link on the module artifact.
Taemin(TM) KO selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.