It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Limit WorkItem to a single CI

Mario Coluzzi (358) | asked May 12 '15, 7:00 a.m.
Hello,

I am in need to create a Work Item that must contain a single CI.

In short the system MUST ask the user to create a new Simple-Work-Item every time a file is changed. This WorkItem must have the ability to be associated to a Parent WI

Purpose: 

1) Avoid the user to re-use WorkItems
2) WorkItem MUST allow only one Configuration Item
3) Cherry Pick the WorkItems to be delivered

Question:
Is this task possible? Has anyone encountered and/or solved such requirement?

Cheers

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented May 12 '15, 7:03 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

What is a CI?

Mario Coluzzi commented May 12 '15, 7:22 a.m.

CI = Configuration Item = File

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 12 '15, 7:24 a.m.
edited May 12 '15, 7:25 a.m.
RTC does not work on files, it works on change sets. A change set can contain changes to multiple files.

I have worked with a customer that created extensions to RTC to try to implement this kind of behavior. They implemented advisors and follow up actions to support this.

A general challenge is, that there is no extension point for check in. So it is not possible to prevent a user to check in changes to multiple files in one change set. It is also not possible to prevent them from completing the change set.

What can be done is advisors that prevent having multiple change sets linked to one work item. It is also possible to create advisors that would block delivering a change set that has changes to more than one file.

The customer created automation / extensions along these lines and it seems to work for them.

See https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/ for information to the API's they have used.
Mario Coluzzi selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mario Coluzzi commented May 12 '15, 7:30 a.m.

Thanks Ralph,

I was afraid of this. 

The issue is exactly what you mentioned "prevent a user to check in changes to multiple files in one change set" because in our environment this has led to few unwanted CIs delivery.

Thank you for the link, I will read what they have devised for their environment

Regards,

Mario

Ralph Schoon commented May 12 '15, 7:35 a.m.

I have created an enhancement request to be able to have advisors/follow up actions for check-in. If enough customers support this, it could be implemented.

If the users had the issue to not be able to deliver their change and to have to suspend it and get the changes into a single file, they will certainly try to not get into that trap again. So this can work if the users get sufficiently trained and the advisors block them from delivering if the rule is not followed.

Mario Coluzzi commented May 12 '15, 8:08 a.m.

Ask to suspend the change and deliver the wanted one(s) . .  . easier said than done! Despite several suggestions this happens most of the time.  I believe that the end user finds easier to deliver all of them rather than "pick & choose" 

Let's see if other customers have the same enhancement request. Do you have the number/link?

M

Ralph Schoon commented May 12 '15, 8:24 a.m.

Can't find it. Sure it is easier for the users to not care. But if you block their delivery, they will have to learn that.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.