It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why am I getting Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError when Running JBE in JSL debug mode?

Des Nunan (623) | asked Jan 04 '16, 12:12 p.m.
I am trying to configure JBE as a Windows Service using Java Service Launcher [0.99.o] on a Windows 7 system. I have followed the steps outlined here:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/JbeAsAWindowsService

JAVA_HOME is set to the location of the JDK that ships with the 32bit RTC client that is installed on the system [v5.0.2].
C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\TeamConcert\jdk

I can run JBE via java.exe rather than jbe.exe and the build engine processes requests successfully.  I edited the jsl.ini file in the bin directory (not the one in the parent) and commented out the sections as indicated. I ran jsl.exe -debug to test this configuration. The console output on first run in debug mode told me that the jvmtype (which was set to "server") could not be found. I found that changing this property to classic or j9vm gets around this.

The next attempt at running JSL in debug mode threw up another error.  This time I see "ControlHandler registered after JVM start" followed by the following exception and the service stops.  I am not sure why this happens or how I can resolve this.  Any help would be appreciated: 

ControlHandler registered after JVM start
:1451925100: java starting 4.4
:52991532652: java starting 5
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:665)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassHelper(ClassLoader.java:760)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:728)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:335)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:707)
:52991532652: java starting 10
:52991532652: java starting 12
Main Thread has exited. Now making DestroyJavaVM() call. DestroyJavaVM() will bl
ock so the JVM will keep running until all daemon threads have terminated.
:31855155411066476: Exit hook called
Exit code 0
:31855155411066476: Cleanup complete
:31855155411066476: Service stop status set.

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 04 '16, 12:58 p.m.
As I recall, the path and other environment variables are not used by services. (for security purposes)..
that is why the ini file is critical.

so I think the claspath in the ini file is wrong

Comments
Des Nunan commented Jan 04 '16, 1:40 p.m.

Thanks for your response.
I tried changing the [java] section to point to the actual path to the jdk location used instead of JAVA_HOME as follows, but still no luck:

[java]
;Path to the java runtime used
;If this option is not used the default from the registry will be used
;jrepath=......\jdk16
;jrepath=%JAVA_HOME%
jrepath="C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\TeamConcert\jdk"

Anything else it could be? Could stringbuffer size be relevant?

sam detweiler commented Jan 04 '16, 1:51 p.m.

You might also want to try the pathname without the spaces..

if you do a dir program* /x from the root you will get its shortnme (usually progra~2)

also, things installed in program files get extra security requirements (to prevent hackers from stuffing things into the system path from services)..  so, you might want to try a different location too.

and u are running the 32 bit be, right? "Program Files (x86)" means 32 bit.

Des Nunan commented Jan 06 '16, 9:13 a.m.

Tried using path shortname to no avail.  I also tried using a JDK installed to a different location (C:\Java), changed the ini to point jrepath to that location instead but this did not work for me either. I am still getting the same error.

Des Nunan commented Jan 06 '16, 12:29 p.m.

I got JSL running in debug mode. It was my mistake.

I set the cmdline setting to
java
-jar path_to_buildsystem\buildengine\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_ pluginVersion.jar -repository https://localhost:9443/jazz -userId ADMIN -pass ADMIN -engineId engine1 -sleeptime 10

I should have omitted the "java" part of the parameter list. Now it works.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.