It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cannot connect to server from Visual Studio

Jae Adams (611) | asked Apr 20 '15, 2:33 p.m.
I have a saved connection to the RTC code repository from within Visual Studio, which I have been using for months.  Now, the server is still up, but I am no longer able to connect to it. 

Depending on how I try to access it, I get different errors. 

A)  Just trying to login, I get "Failed to contact repository 'myusername@server'.  Try again?".  (I used my real user name and server, but hid it in this message.)

B)  Through some attempts at setting my workspace, I got the error... "CRRTC8500E: Server Error:  Failed to log in to "{url provided}":  CRJAZ2381E Cannot connect to the respository at URL "{url provided}", make sure that the server is running and available.

I don't believe there is any firewall in place that stops me from accessing the server, and I am indeed able to get to the website.  Other people on my team are able to access the server, and so it may be an issue on my local machine, but I do not know what.

One answer

permanent link
Surya Tripathi (65017) | answered Apr 20 '15, 5:53 p.m.
Was your server upgraded recently? You may be required to upgrade your VS client as well. You may also have some stale left over session. Exit VS and if you have process scm.exe running, terminate the process and try again. Take a look in the log file, which is usually at <drive>/users/<user>/AppData/Roaming/IBM/Rational, and see if there is any error message.

Comments
Jae Adams commented Apr 21 '15, 12:29 p.m.

I am not aware of the upgrade schedule of the server, though it may have been updated recently.  Talking with the sys-admins over it, they say that I have a valid version still.

After some time, I was able to log in again.  I am currently able to connect fine.

Looking through the logs, there are two types of errors I see.

(a)  04/20/2015 17:00:10 FilesystemUILibrary:
SyncViewDTO is null

(b)  The path lib\log4j-1.2.8.jar is not valid on initJnbridge()
The path lib\shared.jar is not valid on initJnbridge()
The path lib\jacorb.jar is not valid on initJnbridge()
The path lib\xml-apis.jar is not valid on initJnbridge()
The path lib\xercesImpl.jar is not valid on initJnbridge()
The path lib\jsr173_1.0_api.jar is not valid on initJnbridge()
The path lib\plcs.jar is not valid on initJnbridge()
The path lib\ncpro.jar is not valid on initJnbridge()
The path lib\logkit-1.2.jar is not valid on initJnbridge()
The path lib\avalon-framework-4.1.5.jar is not valid on initJnbridge()

What do these error messages mean?

Surya Tripathi commented Apr 21 '15, 1:13 p.m.

The log does not tell anything related to the login failure. The fact that you are able to login again indicates that login failure is not consistent and your client and server versions have a match. I would think that it might have been some stale session. Did you have to restart your client or kill scm.exe process?

Jae Adams commented Apr 21 '15, 5:53 p.m.

I had restarted the application, and also rebooted my machine, with the problem continuing.  I'm not sure why it resolved itself later.  This seems to happen periodically, so I'm very curious to know the cause, though it is probably quite hard to determine.

Surya Tripathi commented Apr 21 '15, 6:06 p.m.

You can open a support PMR so someone can investigate your problem.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.