It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can defects be added to an Iteration plan?

Radha Sastrigal (111322) | asked May 29 '14, 10:53 a.m.
 I am in the process of using Plans to better manage builds & releases for our development. Following is the approach used so far:
Created Team area
created Timeline for Release with 2 iterations as the child
Created a Release Plan(type: Release backlog) to act as a Release Plan - mapped to the Release Timeline
Created an Iteration plan (Type: Sprint backlog) to act as an iteration plan - mapped to the iteration 1 timeline
When adding existing items of Type Defects - I ran a custom query to display items planned for that iteration.
While the query successfully displayed the result, when I selected All and clicked "OK", it did not add the items to the plan.
I tried this second time and selected one result to add, still did not work.
Third time, the query itself stopped working showing a "TypeError: Object is not a function"

Please advise.

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 29 '14, 11:41 a.m.
edited Jun 03 '14, 3:58 p.m.
by default, defects are not plan items.

if u change the configuration they can be..

open project-> process config tab, project config, configuration data, planning, workitem type categorization,
select defect.. 

then they will show up in ALL plans.. cannot be excluded with, exclude execution items
Radha Sastrigal selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Radha Sastrigal (111322) | answered Jun 03 '14, 3:55 p.m.
 Hi Sam,

Thank you for the steps. I was able to select "Defect" type to be added to plans, however can you please explain the last portion of your comment...can cannot be excluded with, exclude execution items ?

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jun 03 '14, 3:59 p.m.

sorry, typos from being on a mobile device. in Plans you can include or exclude execution items (not planning). after making defects a planning item you cannot exclude them anymore.. 

permanent link
Radha Sastrigal (111322) | answered Jun 10 '14, 4:39 p.m.
 Hi Sam, 
I changed the configuration and attempting to add existing work items to the Iteration plan, still the items do not get added.

Plan Type: Sprint backlog
Items being added are type Defects,  that are existing records.
I have a pre-defined query that pulls up the data based on a specific timeline.
THe query results are displayed, when I click OK to add, these items do not get added.

Please advise

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jun 10 '14, 5:36 p.m.
>
I have a pre-defined query that pulls up the data based on a specific timeline.
THe query results are displayed, when I click OK to add, these items do not get added.

can u explain 'add'?  which UI are you using, which product level?

if I set planned for to sprint 1 for a defect, where defects are plan items, it shows in the web ui.

I don't see how to 'add'

Comments
Radha Sastrigal commented Jun 11 '14, 10:56 a.m.
I was trying to attach screenshots to this comment, but unable to do so.

I am using RTC Web UI version: 4.0.1
Anyways, here are the detailed steps:
1) I created a query to display Defects with status Open and Planned for 'selected timeline' -  this timeline input parameter is provided when the query is run
2) First problem is that query is throwing a "TypeError: Object Not found" - all other queries are executing properly except for this one.
3) Second problem (after I get the query to run properly) is when the query results are displayed, I select one value and click "OK" - which I am expecting would add that defect or selected value to the plan.

sam detweiler commented Jun 11 '14, 11:27 a.m.

Ok, Plan is work (workitems) done by people (team) during some time (planned for/iteration)

if you query to get workitems in a specific iteration, they are already IN any plan that covers the people and timeline.. so there is no 'add'..

also, you would have to do two things for any workitems NOT show in a plan
1. change the planned for
2. insure the category maps to a team covered by the plan.

both of these are done thru 'change' or 'set'

Radha Sastrigal commented Jun 11 '14, 11:39 a.m.

Here's the attributes for the created Plan:

Owner: Maintenance Team (Team Area mapped to Cateogory called "Maintenance")
Iteration: R1 Maintenance (selected from Timeline)
Plan Type: Release backlog

1) Are you suggesting that the planned for attribute in the work item should be unassigned ?
2) where can I find the options to 'change' or 'set'?

sam detweiler commented Jun 11 '14, 11:50 a.m.
  1. when u look at a list of workitems in a query output (in eclipse, you right click on the column data, and get a selection to change that columns data, if multiple workitems are selected, you change multiple).. in web, you have to either a) edit one workitem, (click edit pencil, then field, then save), or b) select edit multiple, then select the workitem(s), then press the '+' over the column and do thru the multi-edit

2. well, they are either planned, or not..  if not, then its unassigned.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.