It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

role based permission in cross functional team

Rajdeep Devnath (655) | asked Jan 21 '15, 4:35 a.m.
I have a cross functional Team, the developer is also tester and sometimes verifier. When an CR is created everyone can change the status of IR/CR. How do I restrict permissions. Suppose, the CR is in verification state and I want the verifier as the only person to modify the CR in verification state and allow transition to the next state, how do I do that?

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 21 '15, 5:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC, every user gets one or more roles assigned. You can set permissions to change states and attributes for every role. See https://jazz.net/library/article/291 for how that works.

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Jan 21 '15, 6:14 a.m.
I assume that the CR work item type has separate Contributor attributes for Owner vs Verifier. If so, then assuming that everyone in the cross-functional team has both "owner" and "verifier" roles (so that they have the proper permissions to do things when they are performing the duties of both at any time), then I believe this would have to be done via a java custom Validator.  For the CR work item that is in Verification state, you would check the person making the change (current user) against the Contributor in the 'verifier' attribute and if they are not the same (and it isn't a comment being added), then you could give an error (or perhaps just certain attributes that you only want the Verifier to be able to change).  You would want to check if the prior state is Verification and it is transitioning into the next state, that the current user is the Verifier and if not, throw an error.

Comments
Rajdeep Devnath commented Jan 21 '15, 9:15 a.m.

HI Susan,

Can RTC provide state based permission rather than role based? Suppose XYZ has been assigned as a verifier, As soon as XYZ becomes a verifier, she can only have the right to transition in the verification state

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 21 '15, 9:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you want a state based operational behavior, you have to extend RTC. See https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/only-owner-can-close-workitem-advisor/ for an example.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.