It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC Attribute and Link Questions

Michael Hall (1768) | asked Feb 06 '14, 4:25 a.m.

1.     We have configured two attributes for Business Requirement artefacts in RRC – System Name (multiple choice from a drop-down list) and DC (multiple choice from a drop-down list).   My question is, can an attribute in RRC be derived from the value in another attribute?

2.    We’ve configured a lot of different link types in order to create views where links are missing.  For instance, we’ve configured:

·         a link type of “DBR to HLD Doc” to link the Detailed Business Requirement to a High Level Design artefact

·         a link type of “DBR to DD Doc” to link a DBR to a Detailed Design artefact

·         a link type of “HLR to HLD Doc” to link a High Level Requirement to a HLD

·         a link type of “DBR to HLD” to link a DBR to a Detailed Design.

This was done in order to create views that identify where a specific level of requirement doesn’t have a link to a specific level of design (eg DBRs with no link to a HLD) – but it’s resulted in an extremely long list of link types from which to choose when setting up the links, which is not a good user experience.  I’m wondering whether we actually need so many different link types in order to get these views.  For instance, if we used “Fulfilled by” to link from any level of requirement to any level of design, could we create a view that shows DBRs that do not have a link type of “Fulfilled by” to a HLD artefact (or even DBRs that are not linked to a HLD artefact?  If so, this would make the user experience of creating these links much better.

What do other RRC users do for this type of traceability linking/reporting?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Feb 06 '14, 4:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If I understand this correctly, you could also create a filter that shows all DBR artifacts that do not have a "fulfilled" link (or any link type) to an HLD artifact.  (In the artifacts page or within a module, open the Filter by Attribute section on the left and use Linked Artifact option to do this).  
Michael Hall selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Feb 06 '14, 7:06 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
1. You could set the values of the derived attributes using the new JavaScript extensions.

2. A a few of thoughts:
I agree it's best to limit the number of link types you use -- just as it's good to limit the number of artifact types and attributes.  But if you continue to use your existing set of link types, make sure you set the preferred link types in the artifact definitions so that your users don't see any more link types than necessary.

When defining views (or more specifically, when choosing columns to display which can be saved in views) you can select a link type, and (if the link type is internal to the RM application), you can optionally choose "format" to display one or more attributes.  But currently you cannot attach a query saying "only display links to artifacts that meets the following conditions: {x, y, z}".  This would be a good enhancement request -- feel free to open one (and if you do, please subscribe me).

I expect you could implement this type of query using the new JavaScript extensions.  I haven't tried it myself, and I'm not sure about this, but I encourage you to have a look. If this is not yet supported in the extension API (or we don't provide an example that starts you in the right direction) this would be a good enhancement request too.

permanent link
Michael Hall (1768) | answered Feb 07 '14, 9:05 a.m.
 Thanks for your reply, we'll have give it some thought.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.