It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does CLM have capability of Requirement Change Management

haizi wu (6054248) | asked Oct 08 '12, 8:13 a.m.
edited Oct 08 '12, 8:53 a.m. by Daniel Moul (4.9k1318)
 Hi all:
I know CLM soluction have three parts, CCM, RM, RQM, and CCM is called Change and Configuration Management, but as I know the word  "Change" is just for code changing not for requirement changing, and we have such request that for requirement change management, I think for requriement management, First requirement is submitted to the project ,then they should be analysing(maybe divide into small ones or make some changes and etc.),  after the analysing, these requirement should be implemented, but before the implementing ,there is still a thing we should do ,that is freeze,  and the freezed requirement should not be mdified except a attached change order is presented, so this is I called "Change Management", I cant find them in RTC and even RRC, does CLM have the mechanism to do "Change Management" for requirement? 
tks!

3 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Oct 08 '12, 8:51 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Let me expand on Jerry's answer.

Using the work item systems provided in the CCM application, you can define a change process (states, approval process, etc).  And you can apply this to the life cycle of work items and related code check-in, etc.

In addition, you can define a process that controls the requirements change process when the requirements are managed by Rational DOORS 9.x. In this case requirement change requests exist as work items, and DOORS defers to the work item system (i.e., changes to the requirements are not committed until the requirement change request is approved).

The RM application running native on the Jazz Team Server (along side the CCM application) does not currently have the ability to defer to the work item system in the same way as Rational DOORS 9.x.  You can create a change request in the work item systems with a custom-defined workflow, but once it's approved you must manually change the state of the requirements associated with the change request.  Also DOORS 9.x does a cleaner job today distinguishing between the currently approved version of the requirements and the changes proposed under the change request.

This is a capability on our roadmap for the RM application (for RRC and DOORS NG license holders).  But if automated requirements change management is important to you today, then you will be better off using DOORS 9.x with RTC and RQM.

permanent link
Jerry Shengulette (63914) | answered Oct 08 '12, 8:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
RM is Requirements Management so the answer is "yes".  

There's a tutorial here: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.calm.tutorial.doc%2Ftopics%2Frrc_calm_tut_abstract.html

Comments
JM Seo commented Nov 27 '12, 12:44 a.m.

I dont think this comment is valid. I could see that using RM with RTC does not offer Requirement Change Control since RM artifact cannot be managed according to RCR state.

I'm trying RM 4.0.1 RC2 but it seems this feature is not there yet. Any tentative timeline for this?

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 27 '12, 8:47 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
To clarify, the "Change" in "Change and Configuration Management" is not just for "code changing" ... it is for the management of changes to any CLM artifact, including files under version control (including code),  requirements, tests, etc.  So there is one common change management application (the CCM application) used by all of the other CLM applications.  But as Daniel points out in his answer, the connection between the change management artifacts and the RRC requirement artifacts is not yet as strong as what you'll find with the DOORS requirement artifacts. This will be improving with each release, but if there is a particular connection you'd like to see, please do submit an enhancement request (or add your support to an existing enhancement request).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.