It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using Installation Manager, not use shared folder

sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | asked Nov 01 '13, 9:44 a.m.
edited Nov 01 '13, 9:45 a.m.
I am about to install the 4.0.4 clm package, using IM.  but I have other versions running and have some of the files in the IBMIMSHARED folder. (Shared Resources Directory: j:\ibm\rtc\IBM\IBMIMShared)

is there a way to get IM to NOT use this folder cause it will overlay the other version files.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 01 '13, 12:49 p.m. | edited Nov 01 '13, 1:01 p.m.

I don't want to 'upgrade', I want to install new, in addition to the existing installation. if I use the RTC zip, then I can do this without using IM.. but when I get forced into IM cause it does all the extra work for multiple components, then I get trapped.

I realize this is an abnormal situation.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered Nov 01 '13, 10:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 01 '13, 11:21 a.m.
Hi Sam,

The only way I had found to do this, bizarrely, is to do this is via the Web installer, rather than the full download.   Alas, I just tried this in 4.0.4 and we've changed the installer, so it is no longer possible.  This would only be possible with a 3.0.x build, where you would have the following option:

"Install in a shared location for multiple users (requires administrator privileges)" in order to be able to create a new IBMIMShared folder for your new version installation.

With Installation Manager you are under the following proviso:
Important: You can only specify the shared resources directory the first time that you install a package. We suggest that you use your largest drive for this. You cannot change the directory location until you uninstall all packages.

Cheers,
Paul

sam detweiler selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 01 '13, 10:51 a.m.

thanks.. I am on a fairly slow 6mb down link.. full zip download takes almost 2 hours.

Paul Ellis commented Nov 01 '13, 10:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Let me test this now again, so I can be more explicit with my instructions...but I did mean installing via the Web Installer which is initially 256.93MB

sam detweiler commented Nov 01 '13, 11:04 a.m.

thanks.. I am downloading the web installer now.. 15 minutes.

but if the CLM package is 1.3gig.. I have to download all THAT over the web too inline.. I use a download manager to download the zips so that they don't eat the total capacity.  usually takes overnight for everything.

Paul Ellis commented Nov 01 '13, 11:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Sam,

Please cancel your download.
I have edited my answer above to say on 3.x.  My sincerest apologies for not double-checking the 4.0.4 installer.  We now launch directly into IM, via menu driven options, so alas the old option is no longer there.

My apologies for the misinformation
Paul

sam detweiler commented Nov 01 '13, 11:28 a.m.

thanks.. bummer..

so, what I have done in the past is create a new ibmimshared folder,
install, then copy all the files out back to the local installation.  then there is nothing to load from the shared folder..

just have to be careful when doing updates to remember the tricks I played.

One other answer

permanent link
Francois-xavier Panaget (58914) | answered Nov 01 '13, 11:41 a.m.
edited Nov 01 '13, 11:47 a.m.
Hi Sam,

Let's go back to your original concern.
The IBMIMSHARED folder should be able to hold several versions of the packages without problem.
Once you install one product, the shared folder is always going to be the same.
The shared folder is just a storage for the plugins/files.
It is the actual eclipse installation configuration  where the information about which plugins and which version should be used is stored. And this is in an other directory (the package installation directory eg C:\ibm\rtc_client).

You can have multiple versions of the same product installed on the same machine using the same  IM shared folder. This is should not be a problem.
Even if you install the same product and version several time, the shared folder allows you to only have one copy of the plugins (since they are the same).

Did you get any problem doing that?

Regards,
Francois

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 01 '13, 11:49 a.m.

I do have problems with both servers and clients with multiple versions trying to use the ibmimshared folder.

eclipse UI will not function
server will crash at startup.

here is my list of shared folders.. the current  (ibmimshared) is 4.0.3

this since 2.0.0.2, 3.0.1, 3.0.3, 4.0

Paul Ellis commented Nov 01 '13, 12:07 p.m. | edited Nov 01 '13, 12:41 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Francois has a point.  If you are seeing things like:

eclipse UI will not function
server will crash at startup.

then please feel free to report those events to us.  It shouldn't be that way.
If you have previously and unsuccessfully, maybe we could take another look.

sam detweiler commented Nov 01 '13, 12:35 p.m.

so my problem is I have one machine to do design, build and test of things. client changes, client and server plugins, and project templates with different workitem structures.

I have a 4.0.3 jts, and a 3.x jts, and  now I want to install a 4.0.4 clm to get some experience with RQM and RRC. (potential new job).

I have not tried to install the whole clm pack from the 'enterprise' zip.. but its another whole day download.

I wouldn't use the shared folder, now that I understand what it is, but can't undo that configuration without uninstalling everything.. (I'll pass on that).

Francois-xavier Panaget commented Nov 01 '13, 12:40 p.m.

For the running the server, I would not advise it either ...

But when you do an upgrade of the server, you need to do a side by side installation.
Using the same IMShared never caused me problems.
But we would need to get specifics on the problem you got Sam.

As well on the eclipse client side, I have had several eclipse based products on my system using the same shared and I did not encounter problems linked to having the same IM shared. Of course, knowing more about the problem you faced, Sam, may help to understand why having the same shared folder does not work for you.

Francois-xavier Panaget commented Nov 01 '13, 12:52 p.m.

Sam, I can understand that you do want to reinstall it all now. I guess if you have something working for you then stick to it. Something to think of for the future next machine.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.