It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

IBM Installation Manager 1.8.0 + Windows Server 2008 R2 unsupported?

Dom Honey (132) | asked Aug 11 '17, 8:07 a.m.

Currently trying to upgrade JTS + CCM from version 4.0.7 to version 5.0.2, which involves installing 5.0.2 into its own package group.

Environment:
DB: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 
App server: Tomcat

Used this wiki https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSystemRequirements50, which has "Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and Standard Editions" listed under "A1. Server Operating Systems".

Prior to this CLM upgrade, I installed 4.0.7 without any issue, using IBM Installation Manager 1.7.3.

On the jazz.net downloads page for 5.0.2, "... you need IBM Installation Manager 1.8 or later" and links me to 1.8.0.

Using this version of the IBM Installation Manager (1.8.0), I get this error message when attempting to install JTS + CCM:

CRJAZ9001W - The version of the operating system is not supported.
The operating system version is 6.1.0. That version is older than the supported release version of 6.1.7600.
See the list of supported server operating systems, and upgrade the OS level to a supported level. Then, restart the installation.
[Details: os.name=Windows Server 2008 R2; os.arch=amd64; os.version=6.1; distribution=]

Thought this was weird considering installation manager V1.7.3 worked just fine... I know V1.7.3 uses JRE 1.6 and V1.8.0 uses JRE 1.7 and that may affect how the JVM gets the OS version, so I thought I could just override the os.version system property in an attempt to trick the installation manager; this didn't work, similar error message as before:

CRJAZ9001W - The version of the operating system is not supported.
The operating system version is 6.1.0. That version is older than the supported release version of 6.1.7600.
See the list of supported server operating systems, and upgrade the OS level to a supported level. Then, restart the installation.
[Details: os.name=Windows Server 2008 R2; os.arch=amd64; os.version=6.1.7601; distribution=]

Not really sure where the installation manager is getting 6.1.0 from, at first guess I think this may be a bug.

Don't know how to get around this unless we splash out on Windows Server 2012...

So two questions really:

Is it possible to use IBM Installation Manager 1.7.3 to install CLM 5.0.2?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for getting 1.8.0 working? 

Thanks in advance!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ian Wark (79713550) | answered Aug 14 '17, 2:55 a.m.

I looked and the system requirements for RTC 5.0.2 do point to Installation Manager 1.8 or above.

This appears to be a known issue:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/174407/operating-system-is-not-supported-clm-502

The defect doesn't explain the workaround, just that the issue is fixed in RTC 6.0.x

My understanding is that the error message does not prevent you from installing. I think continuing the installation should be successful. One other suggestion is to try using the latest IM to install with. Generally speaking, you can always use the latest version of IM to install with.

IBM Installation Manager 1.8.7
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24043549

Dom Honey selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dom Honey commented Aug 14 '17, 3:51 a.m.

Many thanks, you're right - I was able to continue the installation from that point and everything looks OK.

Cheers!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.