It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Tables as Requirement Artifact type

Anupam Rathi (1314) | asked Oct 16 '13, 9:40 a.m.
edited Oct 16 '13, 9:44 a.m.
We are documenting requirements for a system where multiple customers in involved. There are some specific requirements for each customer. For example, If the business rule for one customer is Maximum payment amount can be made is $100. The same business rule for other customer is Maximum Payment amount can be $50. In order to document this in better way we wanted to add a table to indicate the customer and the respective business rules. See the sample table below.

Customer

Maximum payment amount allowed

Customer 1

$100

Customer 2

$50

Customer 3

$500

Please suggest what is the best way to create the table as reusable component which can be inserted by business analysts in the requirement documents and modify the details in it.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Oct 16 '13, 9:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
One way is to create a business rule artifact called  "Maximum payment amount" than contains just the table and then either embed or link to this business rule where it is used in other artifacts.

With embed you can control whether the full artifact is shown or just its name and it can be toggled as necessary.

Alternatively you can use modules where the business rule is included and has attribute values for each customer, in each module.
Anupam Rathi selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Anupam Rathi commented Oct 18 '13, 1:53 p.m.

Thanks Robbin.

I created a template for requirement artifact which contains just this table and using that whenever I need to inert similar table. (E.g. business rules, messages etc.) 

Robin Bater commented Oct 18 '13, 2:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am glad the suggestion helped.

One other answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Oct 16 '13, 8:53 p.m.
I suggest you put such artifacts in a dedicated folder, say "templates" and ask the BA to copy the artifact when it is needed.
Only you can decide what is the "best" way though.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.