It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC 4: How to make available project templates be on the list of project template when creating a new RRC project?

Frank Ning (50025119133) | asked Apr 11 '13, 11:59 a.m.
edited Apr 11 '13, 12:01 p.m.
Hello,

When I create a new RM project, only the "Rational Requirements Server Template" is listed on the "Available Processes" field under the "Process" section.

I see quite a few project templates available on the "Templates" tab of "Manage Project Properties" of any existing project like "Use Case Requirements Template".  I like to know how I can make this project template listed to select when I create a new RM project.

-----------------------------------------
Here is what I tried but failed:

1) On the "Templates" tab of "Manage Project Properties" of any existing project, download the ""Use Case Requirements Template", which generated filename.archive file.
2) Open "Manage Templates" page from the Administration icon menu of the rm/web page where only one project template is listed "Rational Requirements Server Template".
3) Use the "Import Template" menu to import the above downloaded template. The .archive format is not acceptable and thus I renamed it to .zip. The import gave me the following error:

Error importing template: Invalid content. Archive must contain a single directory which contains the exported template.
----------------------------

How can I create a RM project based on ""Use Case Requirements Template" template?

Another goal for me to be able to do the above is to create a new project template based on an existing RM project with post-customization and create future new RM projects based on that template.  I did try to export the customized project and import it. It works BUT all customization work (new artifact types, artifact templates etc) were lost. When I export a project, it does not give me option to include those customization. When I create a "New (project) template" on the "Manage Project Properties" interface, I have options to include those customization items BUT I find no way to import any of them.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Erica Tran (1.4k7) | answered Apr 11 '13, 4:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Frank,

When you create a new RM project area, it should ask which "project template" you would like to use.  The "process template" you mention is something different.  The process template is in the administration templates section.

When I select the create project area option in RM the first dialog asks for name and description, but the next screen asks me to select a template.  These are the templates that are listed in the RM "Manage Project Properties" template page.  If the the template is listed there, it will show up during this project creation wizard.

If you have customized a project, and would like to create a new template from it.  From the same template tab from RM "Manage Project Properties" select the option "New Template".  It will ask you what template you want to base the new template on.  Just select the project you have customized.

If this doesn't help you, maybe you could include a few screenshots of what you see when you try to create a new project.

Thanks.

Frank Ning selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Frank Ning commented May 03 '13, 1:41 p.m.

Thanks, Erica.

I normally use "Manage Project Areas" to create a new project areas, which does not give me the option to initialize the new project from a project template. The "Create a project area" from Administration icon menu provide the option to initialize the new project from a project template.

Erica Tran commented May 03 '13, 1:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Frank,
Thanks for clarifying.  I didn't realize you were selecting the create option from the Project Areas page.  I have always used the "Create a project area" from the drop down in the upper right corner.  I'm glad you were able to get it to work.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.