It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

update multiple test scripts at once

Ade Adeyokunnu (16125) | asked Sep 27 '13, 10:57 a.m.
is it possible to automatically update multiple test script steps that have the same feature once I update one of them in RQM?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lisa Caten (342913) | answered Sep 27 '13, 1:37 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 27 '13, 1:38 p.m.
In this situation, to use a keyword now:
1. Open one of the affected scripts.
2. Update the step (or steps) that need to be updated.
3. Select the step or steps that are repeated in other scripts, click the Action menu icon (in the step number column), and select Create new keyword from step(s).
3. In the Create Keyword dialog box, type a name and tags, leave the Replace the selected steps with the created keyword option selected, and click OK.
4. Save the script.
5. Open each of the other scripts that need to be updated.
6. In each script, open the Keyword view (by clicking the Show Keyword View icon in the toolbar).
7. Find the new keyword that you created and drag it (using the handle at the far left of the keyword) to the script step(s) to be replaced.
8. Delete the "old" step(s) that you replaced.

The next time those steps need to be updated, you edit the keyword and then that change is automatically reflected in all of the test scripts that use the keyword.
Ade Adeyokunnu selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ade Adeyokunnu commented Sep 27 '13, 4:40 p.m.

Thanks Lisa. It seems likeĀ I dont have the "Create new keyword from step" action in my Action menu. I have atteched an image showing the options that show up for me. Any advice?

Lisa Caten commented Sep 30 '13, 11:55 a.m. | edited Sep 30 '13, 12:08 p.m.

In earlier versions of the script editor, you can select the step(s) and drag them to the Keyword View to create a new keyword from the steps.

Ade Adeyokunnu commented Sep 30 '13, 12:28 p.m. | edited Sep 30 '13, 12:45 p.m.

Great! that works. thanks a bunch :)

Ade Adeyokunnu commented Oct 25 '13, 10:38 a.m. | edited Oct 25 '13, 10:38 a.m.

Hey Lisa, follow up question: how do I unassociated keyword steps from a test script?

Lisa Caten commented Oct 25 '13, 12:24 p.m.

Delete the keyword steps from the test script. (Then, if you need to, replace them with manually typed local steps.)

Ade Adeyokunnu commented Oct 25 '13, 12:57 p.m.

right but i don't seem to see a delete option because there are multiple steps associated with one keyword. If i could attach an image to clarify, that would help but i dont have enough rep points.

Lisa Caten commented Oct 27 '13, 12:39 p.m.

To clarify, to remove a keyword from a test script, the menu command it Cut, not Delete:

To remove individual steps from a keyword, you must edit the keyword, not the test script that the keyword is used in.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

One other answer

permanent link
James Paulus (20622035) | answered Sep 27 '13, 11:24 a.m.
 We use a keyword in this situation.   That way if something like the login changes, we make the update once and all of the test scripts are updated.

Comments
Ade Adeyokunnu commented Sep 30 '13, 11:55 a.m.

Any advice on how to display the Create new keyword from step(s).action button. I don't seem to have that option when in my action menu, please see below image. Thank you!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.