It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC: Collection vs Modules filtering differences

Stephen Toop (11112223) | asked May 07 '13, 11:22 a.m.
RRC 4.0.1

I am not sure if I am working at crossed purposes with Collections and Modules or not..

Scenario: We want to monitor change to artefacts overtime such that we easily a change report including the actual changes to artefacts.

Collections and Project Baselines seems to give us this. As new artefacts are created they need to added to the existing collection such that a subsequent baseline will enable us to see all the differences through the Collection Compare feature.

Modules comes close to this and benefits from not needing to perform a full Project Baseline, however there isn't a Module Compare feature (well not that I have found) so we can see the differences between baselines.

So it looks like Collections then.

Now, here's the issue with Collections and Filters:
From time to time we need to make sure we have all the artefacts needed in the actuall Collection, so an obvious way to do this is via filters to find those artefacts not in the Collection

However, under the Filter By Attribute section there is a "Where Used" option but this only allows for Modules even though the Collection is shown in the Where Used section of the artefact.

The Columns to Display only allows for "Used in Modules" to be displayed - not Collections.

So, whilst Collections seem to provide the best solution to monitoring change, they don't seem to provide a way to easily pick up those artefacts that aren't yet in the Collection but should be. Modules allow me to find which artefacts are in a module, or not. But I can't compare baselines of modules to track change.

Are my finding above accurate?
Have I missed something?
Am I going about the brief in the right way - that is to track change of artefacts between two points?

Thanks
Stephen Toop

One answer

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered May 07 '13, 1:44 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I think what you state is accurate; and the user experience of these tasks could definitely be improved.
There is an open work item to allow collections in the Where Used filtering -- https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/74564 -- feel free to add your thoughts.  We would also like to improve version comparison for all artifact types in the future. 

But neither of these will help you now.  Note that the Audit History on a module will give you some indication of change history within the module.  WRT tracking artifacts that should be in collections, have you thought about tagging artifacts as they are put into collections?  Then you can search for artifacts w/o those tags.  Obviously this shouldn't be necessary, and isn't fool-proof, but perhaps it's a workaround?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.