It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to lock the actual state of a module in DoorsNG?

Thomas Fässler (1111) | asked Oct 29 '15, 8:16 a.m.
retagged Dec 21 '18, 4:49 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

Hi,

Hope somebody could help us.
We have a big problem with Doors NG and we're thinking about rejecting it.

Because...

We did not find a way to lock a module respectively the actual state of it. So it happens that for example the RE is working on a SRS and another Developer just wants to read the SRS and accidentially edit an artefact. That is extremely dangerous, because the RE won't notice the change.

Thanks for any advice!

2 answers

permanent link
Ted Mayer (47649) | answered Oct 29 '15, 10:12 a.m.

Hello Thomas,

In DNG, you can lock a module in DNG, however even if the module is locked, you may still be able to modify the artifacts in the module or a collection. Below is the link to locking modules:

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.2/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/c_locking.html?cp=SSYMRC_5.0.2&lang=en

I was able to find a similar RFE against module locking:

https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=57744

permanent link
Malte Plath (111) | answered Oct 02 '18, 5:40 a.m.
Hi Thomas,

I am sure IBM would not want me to recommend ditching DNG on their own forum, so I will try to suggest other avenues to work around the problem you describe. (Which leaves ∞-1 problems)

Given the scenario you write, maybe you should be using roles and permissions rather than locking.  (If you need to allow developers to change artifacts in a module, this could be anything between painful and impossible.)

Another approach would be to require anyone who does not explicitly need to edit requirements to use only baselines for their work: then they could not inadvertently change anything.  (And, of course, with Global Configuration, you could designate different streams.)  This still requires care on the side of the user, so that they do not accidentally use the current version, or the wrong stream.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.