It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Modules capabilities - displaying different information for different rows

Taly Hotimsky (2714557) | asked May 23 '14, 3:01 p.m.
The main functionality I miss for modules is the ability to indicate which content I want to display for each row.
For some rows the artifact id and content may be fine.
For others I want to show the artifact id and name.
And for others yet I want to display id, name and some attributes.
I realize that's not possible (currently using 4.0.6, but I don't think it's a feature available in newest releases).

As a workaround, I wanted to embed an artifact in the module just as I would on a text format artifact, so it can be maximized/collapsed and additional info would be displayed in the module in a "reading" manner (which is not what the rich-hover provides). I think that's also not supported, right?

Usage scenario example (not sure if my explanation above is clear enough).
Say we're creating a module to describe a feature. We'll have sections to show the requirements associated to it, the business rules, the use cases, etc.
For some of these sections we'll want to display the actual content (for instance, on the Business Rules and Requirements sections). On others, we'd like to show only the title and let the user expand it as needed (for instance, the use case). Additionally, we'd like to show some attributes next to the UC name (for instance, architectural impact).

Since modules came out on RRC I've been expecting to see features that would address a usage scenario like this, but haven't. Are there any usage recommendations to create a module that would display what I described?
And are the features I mentioned planned for a future release? (or even available now and I'm not aware of them)

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered May 25 '14, 11:41 p.m.
I can only think of one feature that is close to what you described - hierarchy of the artifacts in a module. For example, if you choose to display 2 levels of the artifacts (at the top left corner of the module view), anything deeper that the third level (e.g. with heading 1.2.3 ) will be collapsed.
But I think that is still far from what you want. What you described looks more like a document than a tabular view. In RRC, the module view is a tabular view. Basically, for the same column, it cannot display one thing for one row, and a different thing for the other row.
Also, there seems to be some misunderstanding about name/content displayed in a module. In a default module view, the ID and content of an artifact is displayed, even for artifacts of Heading type.
Just out of curiosity, have you seen any other products or tools that can do what you described?

Comments
Taly Hotimsky commented May 26 '14, 9:33 a.m.

Hi Donald.

Yes, the hierarchy doesn't really help me achieve what I want in the scenario I described.

I realize there are two different "issues" in my original post: 1) not being able to create different column settings for different rows in a module; 2) not being able to embed an artifact in a module.
#1 is the most critical to me; #2 is nice to have.

I haven't seen other products that can do this, but that's due my limited experience with other RM tools.
From your question I assume neither of these capabilities is currently planned (nor it'd be prioritized) for a future release at this point. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.