It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In modules/collections: Add an existing artifact from a DIFFERENT project area.

Brian Vander Mey (5041520) | asked Jul 22 '13, 2:05 p.m.
edited Jul 24 '13, 5:22 p.m.
 Hello,

I'm trying to create a source-of-truth repository of certain business rules and requirements for my team.  This would be housed in a central place, and projects would use them.

I would like my team to be able to create modules with these artifacts.  If they could insert multiple artifacts from another project, then we could better track compliance through attributes on those standard elements.

However, when I go to choose "Add an Existing Artifact" I'm only able to choose from the current project area.  This damages my ability to achieve the above goal.

I've only found three very weak workarounds:
  1. In a module, I can create an artifact and choose "Insert Artifact" from the repository project, and do them one at a time, creating an artifact each time.  This is ultimately how I want it, but this is labor intensive when there are 100 artifacts to bring in.
  2. Outside of a module, I can perform "Insert Artifact" and bring in several at a once, which is good, except that they are unwieldy once brought in.  They can't be moved around or placed in lists with any ease.  Furthermore, the come in like blocks, sometimes multiple to a line, and you never know where they will insert.  Some will go on the line where you clicked "insert artifact" and others will jump to the top of the page.  Also, this does not fully allow us to achieve what we want since we would only be able to track compliance through attributes on the one artifact, since it contains many inserted artifacts.
  3. By taking the time to create a collection in the repository project, I am able to avoid the completely-disordered problem, as the inserting the collection artifact brings the requirements come in with a bulleted list.  However, this still leaves me with a "block" of information where it is difficult to see much detail without going one-by-one, and still has most of the problems from my #2 workaround.
A module or a collection would be perfect, but they don't appear to allow inserting of artifacts--at all, much less in bulk--without first creating a new artifact and inserting one-by-one.  My IBM technical contact was surprised by this, so I'm hoping that I am just missing a setting somewhere.

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Jul 24 '13, 3:50 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi, Brian. Your post seems to have cut-off. Would you please edit it to add the missing information and also please provide product version information. 

Brian Vander Mey commented Jul 24 '13, 5:23 p.m.

I apologize, not sure that happened, but I have completed and elaborated the issue. 

2 answers

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Aug 01 '13, 7:10 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I was going to suggest an enhancement as this is not currently supported, but looks like you've already submitted one.

Allow insertion of existing artifacts into modules or collections from other project areas utilizing the "Add Existing Artifacts" button. (77392)

permanent link
Vaibhav S (106348) | answered Nov 06 '17, 12:54 a.m.

Hi,

I need help with a code to add an existing artifact from one module to another.

Please let me know if you have achieved it.

Thanks
Vaibhav

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.