It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I get links while extracting requirements from .odf file

Debra Johnson (5234) | asked May 03 '13, 5:34 p.m.
I have a OpenDoc .odf document that follows the SE&A structure for Business Requirements, System Requirements, Component Requirements.  The .odf uses  Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3 in this format:
1 System and Component Requirements to allow document creation for standalone draft one-off templates
1.1 CFE shall allow document creation for standalone one-off templates that were created as draft also.
1.1.1 CFE will remove the alert that is currently shown when LP user selects draft one-off template from 'List of Templates' page

When I import into RRC 4.0.0.3  or 4.0.2 and extract the requirements where Heading = Business Requirement, Images = Support Resources, Keyword "CFE shall" paragraphs = System Requirements, Keyword "CFE" will paragraphs = Component Requirements, All Other text = none,  Step 4 Extract Requirements has expected BR, SR, BR but no link between them.

How do you construct the  OpenDoc ( or MS Word) document so that it uses headers and recognize the Link To/From artifacts.

I tried change from Headers to numbered lists and that didn't provide links either.

Is there a sample  OpenDoc or MS Word import document that shows us the format?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Erica Tran (1.4k7) | answered May 07 '13, 8:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Debra,

Are you saying you want the import to automatically create links between the artifacts?  The import process will not create links.  The info center topic for importing requirements documents states:  "After you import the document, you can add comments on the whole document, add comments on specific paragraphs, add links, and embed other artifacts in the document."

Importing documents into a requirements project
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_import_word.html

Also, in regards to Headings, you should be able to extract requirements from the heading format. The next topic in the info center, "Extracting requirement artifacts from documents" had a short simple example that has one requirement that is marked as a heading, and has some information about using the headings to create levels in modules.

I hope this helps.

Debra Johnson selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Debra Johnson commented May 09 '13, 10:18 a.m.

Thanks,
Yes, I saw this text too.  But the Step 4 Extract Requirements summary page has a line saying  Links .. 0, which sort of implied to me that importing can have links.

I was just hoping there was a way to do it since we'll have a few hundred items to build links between.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.