It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating Link to a text in the artifact(uploaded as doc)

Upendra Acharya (144) | asked Sep 24 '12, 9:49 a.m.

I am using RRC 4.0 and I want to create a link from an artifact to a particular text in an artifact uploaded as doc file. Also in mouse over it should show the Hyperlink text.

Currently I am creating a "link from" while editing a document and after selecting the text. But it does not show me which text is linked to artifact in mouse over on the artifact it linked.

Is it possible to see the Hyperlink text(text in the doc) for a link?

Also the Link explorer shows link to document only and not particular text in doc. If I have 10 links to 10 different sections in a doc, link explorer shows all links to doc artifact(doc) only and not different links to text.

Due to this I can not define further links based on each section in the document for E2E traceability.

How can I do this?

3 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Sep 26 '12, 1:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When you say  "Currently I am creating a "link from" while editing a document and after selecting the text. But it does not show me which text is linked to artifact in mouse over on the artifact it linked. "  are you using the save as artifact option and creating a new artifact which is then embedded in the original document?

If this is the case then you are correct the links explorer shows the linking to the entire document and not the particular section.

Now something that might help in the future to provide better E2E traceability we are introducing the concept of modules. A module is a structured document that is composed of multiple artifacts. You can create structure in a module by modifying the order and hierarchy of its artifacts.

Because a module is composed of multiple artifacts it is possible to link to each of the artifacts. Now if one of those artifacts in one module is used in multiple modules it will be possible to link to either the base artifact or a instance of the artifact in a module. For example say the same requirement is reused in Release 1 and Release 2 module specifications - the links to work items in the Release 1 instance of that requirement can be different from those in the Release 2 specification.

An example picture of a module can be found here:  https://jazz.net/products/rational-doors/images/DOORS_module.png

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-requirements-composer/milestones/4.0.1M3?p=news#webmodules-2

permanent link
Upendra Acharya (144) | answered Oct 04 '12, 9:11 a.m.

Thanks for your answer, Robin.

I am uploading a document to create an artifact. I want to basically upload a design document as one artifact. Now I want to link sections in this document to various other artifacts like use cases, test case.

So I am creating links to other artifacts(say use case or test case) from the document editor for each section. But if I want to find out which section from the document this artifact is linked, I get to see only document (for that matter artifact ID) but no clue on section name. There could be multiple links within the document like this. My concern is if all the links to the document sections are abstracted at a document level then how do I find out which section any artifact is linked??

The approach you suggested for modules seems interesting. I guess I can create artifact for every section in the design document and make a module of it. then I can use individual artifacts(which in turn represents each section) to link to use cases or test case.

But do I need to manuall create such module ?? OR while uploading a design document I can create artifact for each section. Does RRC 4.0 has a support like this?

Comments
Robin Bater commented Oct 04 '12, 9:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The intention is that you will be able to import a document (e.g. MS Word) and specify keywords or delimiters that will automatically create the module and the artifacts used for headings and sections, so that the module will look similar to the imported document.

How successful this import is, is dependent upon how easy it to identify the sections with either the keywords or delimiters.

Module support is not in RRC V4 nor RRC V4.0.0.1 but is intended for a future release.

permanent link
Upendra Acharya (144) | answered Oct 04 '12, 11:54 a.m.

I tried in RRC 4.0 but couldn't find support for modules as you said.

The other problem I am facing in RRC 4.0 is that if I create a link (link from)from document section to other artifact and another link (link to) to one more artifact for the same section, the earlier link is removed and new one is created.

It seems at a time I can have only one link on particular text in a document.

I was trying to create a chain of links to establish e2e traceability. Is there any way where I can link same text from document to different artifacts?

Comments
Robin Bater commented Oct 04 '12, 1:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Now sidebar (audit) linking in RRC is from one complete artifact to another, so when you say you are creating a link to a section in a document it is creating the link from entire document to another document.

Now it is possible to a chain of artifacts so that one artifact is linked to another, which in turn is linked to another to create a tree relationship, for audibility which can be viewed either in the link explorer or a grid view as tree. In the Money that Matters sample we do this all the time.

So if links in the sidebar are being removed I would suggest contacting Tech Support as there is some wrong.

Now the only time I can think of where a link is replaced, is if hyperlinks in the text are used. Creating a new hyperlink for the same piece of text will actually replace the old hyperlink.

Are you using the sidebar to create the document links or are you using the "Insert Link" action which creates a hyperlink?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.