It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Moving and renaming files in eclipse that are not part of a Project area?

Jacob Leder (124) | asked Apr 16 '13, 3:24 p.m.

We have code that we are version controlling, that we do not want an eclipse project associated with it. It is APEX code, that has it's own editor on a Linux box and has a very sensisitive file structure. The user is not allowed to change that structure. They work with another organization that does not have access to our network, and that organization owns the file structure paradigm. The other organization is using Rational ClearCase. When I used ClearCase I could do a rename to any file in the system through the ClearCase Explorer. I have not been able to figure out how to do this on a Linux box or in Eclipse.

How and or can we rename and move files in source contorl in this situation?

2 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Apr 16 '13, 4:44 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Loading Content from a Jazz Source Control Repository in Rational Team Concert 4.0

That article would describe how you want to load your content. You would want to select the option to load without creating Eclipse projects. However, it may make more sense to use the command line all of your source control operations.

permanent link
Alex Fitzpatrick (5583816) | answered Apr 16 '13, 5:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can manipulate arbitrary files and folders from the file system using the linked resources feature in Eclipse.

When I want to use an Eclipse based product such as RTC or RSA to manipulate files that are not part of a project what I do is:

1. Create a dummy generic project as a placeholder. (File > New > Project... > General > Project)
2. Add a folder to that project, but in the new folder wizard select the "Advanced" button.
3. Check off the "Link to folder in the file system" checkbox.
4. Click the Browse... button to select the folder I want to manage in Eclipse and Finish the wizard.

Your folder should now appear in your dummy project. All file manipulation gestures should now work.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 16 '13, 10:32 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This technique makes arbitrary folders visible in Eclipse, but I couldn't make Eclipse aware that these folders are under RTC source control (none of the RTC source control icons appear for those files in the Package Explorer).   If I rename one of those files, I have to "refresh" the workspace in the Pending Changes view to have the Pending Changes view notice the changes, and the change shows up as the deletion of the original file and the creation of a new file (not a rename).  How does one make Eclipse aware that this linked folder is under RTC source control?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.