What is serviceability?
What does serviceability mean to me?
As an end user
As an administrator
As an implementer
Self-servicing as a Jazz User
Steps to take
Report any issues to the administrator. Gauge the severity of the issue for need of contact.
- Take a screen snapshot if appropriate and you have the capability.
- If there is an error message, record the error message information, including the error message indicator.
- If the problem is related to performance of the interface be specific as to what steps are being taken, and how long it takes to perform the step. If this process was at any time faster, also report the expected performance. Be sure to record the date, time and time length when this issue occurs.
- If the problem is related to a specific activity being taken write down all of the steps to the activity including steps not yet taken, and mark where in the steps the problem occurs. If this activity was completed in the past, record the when the last time the activity was successful.
Self-servicing as a Jazz Administrator
Recognizing there is a problem
Assessing the scope of the situation can help you narrow down a list of possible causes. Included below are some questions to keep in mind as you investigate. These questions provide general guidance for getting started and isolating the source of the problem. How to start a troubleshooting assessment
will really assist in gathering the contextual information that IBM Client Success will require.
Steps to take
keep complete and consistent backups
Keeping good backups allows for quick restoration in the event of a catastrophe.
- Keep synchronized Database and index backups. The various indices and database information are directly related and should be saved and restored together.
- Keep historically recorded backups. The problem that manifested may have not surfaced for some time. In the event of a problem like data corruption, it may be possible for an IBM Support engineer to aid in recovery if there is a comparable good and bad backup.
- Test the backup process.
More information on Jazz Backup processes can be found here
Record everything during an issue.
There may not be time, capability, or awareness to diagnose and fix a problem at the time of occurrence with a permanent solution. Some issues become worse if not corrected, and others will possibly reoccur.
It is therefore important to gather and save the information, that can then be reviewed and if necessary passed along to support at a later time.
- Always create a backup of database, configuration, and indices before making changes to the system.
- Also, make backup copies of the logs when the issue is first discovered, so that the logs do not roll over and the information is lost.
- If possible, create a IBM Support Assistance bundle. More information can be found here.
- Document who first reported the problem, how, and when.
- If the problem is re-creatable, document the steps to recreate, and the time of each recreation.
Places to look for more information
Error messages have a unique identifier. This identifier may be used to search through documentation and support for more information on why the error message occurred, more details into the error, and possible actions to take to resolve the issue.
The error message identifier may also be used to search the logs for the occurrences of the the issue that may not have been reported as well as finding the occurrence. The occurrence in the logs may be preceded or followed by more information related to the issue. The time stamp associated in the logs may also be used to correlate the issue with other events such as Database or Network outages, or events in other system logs.
There is also a very informative write-up in the Common Jazz hardware configuration and performance impact overview
Involving IBM support
If you have a need to open a service request with IBM Rational Support
for further assistance, you can send the archive file with the data collection so that they can help diagnose and fix problems.
Must-gather is the information absolutely necessary to resolve an issue through IBM Support
- If possible, create a IBM Support Assistance bundle.
- More information can be found here.
- There is a comprehensive CLM must gather within this wiki.
- There are specific must-gather information for each product
There is also a really helpful page containing MustGather documents for Rational Collaborative Lifecycle Management products
, focusing on key scenarios and integrations.
Additional contributors: PaulEllis