It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

When deleting a stream, what does "Create a backup snapshot associated to a workspace" do?

Simon Fox (3556) | asked Jan 10 '13, 7:36 a.m.
When deleting a stream, a dialog is shown asking me whether I would like to "Create a backup snapshot associated to a workspace" or "Just delete the stream (content cannot be recovered)".

What I would ideally like to do is delete a number of streams after merging the latest code on each to a single new stream and creating a snapshot after each merge and I'm wondering whether this does what I want.  If so, how do I use it and where (if anywhere) can I find it documented?

Many thanks,

Simon.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 10 '13, 7:41 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 10 '13, 7:45 a.m.
Simon,

it creates a snapshot that is associated to a workspace. The snapshot is a baseline across all components in the stream and basically allows you to create a workspace or a stream from the snapshot that resembles the content of the stream that you are about to delete. So in case you figure later you shouldn't have deleted the stream, you could get it back from the snapshot.

Comments
Simon Fox commented Jan 10 '13, 7:47 a.m.

Hi Ralph,  Thanks for the prompt response.

So if I have multiple streams I want to delete and replace with a bunch of snapshots on a single stream, could I use this option multiple times, specifying the same workspace each time and then delivering the snapshots to my new stream?

Thanks again,

Simon.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 10 '13, 8:14 a.m. | edited Jan 10 '13, 8:33 a.m.

Hi Simon,

yes. As far as I know from discussions a snapshot does not refer to the element that owns it, except by the ownership. If you change the owner of the snapshot (promote), all the information of the snapshot is kept as far as I can tell. So wherever you keep it, you could recreate the content from there.

Simon Fox commented Jan 10 '13, 8:25 a.m.

That's great Ralph - thanks.

Simon.

Simon Fox commented Jan 10 '13, 12:47 p.m.

Sorry to labour the point but I have another question.  If I select the option to just delete the stream I will be warned that the stream contains snapshots and asked to select another stream to take ownership of them.  Since each stream contains one snapshot which is what I want to preserve, is there any reason I shouldn't just create one new stream and then delete each of the other streams (without creating a backup snapshot associated to a workspace) but migrating the snapshots to my new stream instead?  Are there any disadvantages to this approach?

Thanks again

Simon.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 13 '13, 7:44 a.m.

If you are positive that there is already a snapshot of the stream that captures the current state of the stream, then yes, you do not need to create another snapshot ... the information needed to recreate the stream is already captured in that existing snapshot.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.