It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is anyone running the Data Collection job more frequently that once per day without performance issues?

Alexander Dawson (2542328) | asked Jun 27 '13, 11:42 a.m.

We're looking to increase the frequency to make our reports more current.  Currently we run our Data Collection jobs nightly at midnight.  I'm curious about other experiences of users who have increased the frequency to 2 or 4 times per day. 

1)  Are there users who did increase the frequency?

2)  What measures were monitored to analyze the performance impact?

FYI our longest jobs (run nightly at midnight) are

JTS/Star ~ 50 mins

Jazz/WorkItems ~ 60 mins.

All others < 7 minutes.

2 answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jun 27 '13, 3:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The data warehouse collection jobs should never be run more than once a day. Actually in recent CLm releases, the option has been removed from the UI. Running them more than once will cause your data warehouse size to increase significantly as some of the jobs collect metrics data that is not delta in nature. Some of the data warehouse tables also use date types, so actually running the ETL more than once may not produce the desired results.

permanent link
Jia Jia Li (8057152192) | answered Jul 11 '13, 9:52 a.m.
Hi, I will consider the suggestion of not run more than once for data collection jobs. 
But I can manually start the jobs especially when I create the report and want to see the result change. So that to say, when I manually start the jobs, the same thing happened that data warehourse size increasing fast. So can I say I should not frequently manual run the data collection job?
Thanks!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.