It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Use an external Compare tool in the 'Change Summary' view in CLM 2012?

barnaby relph (1834) | asked Jan 03 '13, 8:09 a.m.
 We've just upgraded from RTC2 to RTC 4.0.1 (CLM 2012) and have upgraded our eclipse client. One change is that when you're reviewing a changeset (i.e. double-click a changeset attached to a work item) it opens in the Change Summary View. All fine, but in this view, right-clicking doesn't get you the option to open the changes in your external diff/merge tool of choice. 

If I go to the Change explorer, I can still use Beyond compare and it's my default, but the change explorer view doesn't show this option and defaults to the built-in diff tool. This has been observed on both Helios (3.6) and Kepler (4.3 development) releases of eclipse. Does this happen for others?

This is going to get quite problematic for us as we peer review everything and the default diff tool really isn't a patch (pun intended) on BC3.

Here's the version of my RTC Client as reported by Eclipse: 
    Rational Team Concert Client Feature 4.1.0.RTC-I20121113-2333

Thanks

Barny

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jan 03 '13, 2:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is a bug. The compare action should respect the preference for using the external compare editor.

You could open the change set in Change Explorer and it will respect the external compare editor preference. You can open the change set in Change Explorer by going to Change Summary's view menu and showing the details pane. Then you can select the file and open a change set in Change Explorer. This won't consolidate the changes that you can view in a single compare but you'll be able to use your external editor.

I've opened a bug: https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/246125
barnaby relph selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
barnaby relph commented Jan 04 '13, 4:25 a.m. | edited Jan 04 '13, 4:32 a.m.

Tim, thanks for the speedy reply and for raising the work Item. I see it's been addressed in code already, that's very impressive!

Thanks

Barny

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.