It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to configure OOTB Rational Insight reports to point to a project other than the default Smarter Planet

Hitesh Bechar (1111) | asked Oct 31 '12, 1:04 p.m.
Hi

I was hoping somebody could assist me in trying to configure the OOTB Rational Insight reports to run against a project (in CLM) other than the default smarter planet project that the reports seem to be coded against. Is there some way of editing this?

I have already followed the link below to successfully configure Insight to generate reports from CLM:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/configure-rational-insight-reports-clm/index.html

Any help would be much appreciated.

3 answers

permanent link
Michael Fox (61643) | answered Oct 31 '12, 1:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The Smarter Planet project isn't referenced by the OOTB reports, its the data in the SAMPLE DW that Insight provides. SAMPLEDW is a populated data warehouse containing artificially generated sample data to enable you to run reports immediately, before you've collected enough real data in your data warehouse.

The Cognos Data Source (RIDW) is set to reference the SAMPLEDW database, so your reports are pulling data from there.  You need to change the Cognos Data Source to point to your real data warehouse database.  This will cause SQL queries from the report to be directed to that warehouse rather then SAMPLEDW. You can change the Data Source in Cognos Administration.

To see how to change the Data Source setting, view this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjYGlcE2fa4

Mike Fox

Comments
Hitesh Bechar commented Oct 31 '12, 1:54 p.m.

Hi Michael

Thank you for your response. It seems to be the answer to my initial problem. I have however, run into another problem in the person who installed Insight has left, and our logins don't seem to show the IBM Cognos Administrator option. We do have full access to the server that the application is installed on, is there a way to either turn off the login checking, or find out what LDAP group we need to be in (in CLM this would be something like the teamserver.properties file) 

Michael Fox commented Oct 31 '12, 2:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

hi

To get access to Cognos Administration, you need to log in as a member of the JazzAdmins group.  Hopefully you still have at least one Jazz Admin user who can connect to your JTS and get into /jts/admin.  That person should be able to get into Cognos Administration, or make another user a member of the Jazz Admins group.

Hitesh Bechar commented Nov 01 '12, 6:11 a.m.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We are members of JazzAdmins, and can log into the associated CLM server with those rights. When we click logon in Insight, it redirects to CLM and then asks can it cross authenticate. When we select yes, it sends us back to Insight and we show as logged in, but still no Cognos Administration.

Is it possible the Insight instance is set up to use a different LDAP group to map admins? Is there a file in our Insight installation we can use to determine this (like teamserver.properties in CLM)?

Kelvin Low commented Nov 01 '12, 3:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

After logging on to the Insight report server, the IBM Cognos Administration menu will only be displayed if the authenticated user has been assigned the Cognos System Administrators role. By default with a fresh installation, the Cognos Everyone group is assigned the Cognos System Administrators role. When integrated with CLM, to lock down security, we advise our customers to replace the Cognos Everyone group with the JazzAdmins group. My guess is that your former report server administrator might not have performed this step.

permanent link
Kelvin Low (16321) | answered Nov 01 '12, 3:23 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you open your <insight>/cognos/configuration/jazzns_config.xml file and see if it includes any <user> or <group> tag? If it does, a specific Jazz user, mostly likely the report server administrator, or group may have been assigned the Cognos System Administrators role.

Comments
Hitesh Bechar commented Nov 02 '12, 6:53 a.m.

Hi

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, there are no such user or group tags in the config.xml file. Is there anything else that I can try?

permanent link
Kelvin Low (16321) | answered Nov 02 '12, 2:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Does your report server has another namespace, like an LDAP namespace, installed besides the Jazz namespace? You can run Cognos Configuration to verify this.

Comments
Hitesh Bechar commented Nov 06 '12, 6:44 a.m.

Hi

I logged onto IBM Cognos Config to verify and under the security heading, there is a namespace ID under the Jazz tab(as you mentioned), but there does not seem to be another namespace  in addition to this. There is another Cognos tab but it does not contain a namespace.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.